NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 29, 2024 - 12:47 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
That boy's got talent! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SBGOffline
Post subject: Any favorite Static grass and what's your technique?  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Canada
Seems odd, I know.

But I'm using GW static grass, and I can't seem to get a nice, "upward" look. It always look like a tanlged mess.

So here's what I do and you let me know if I'm wrong:

Put glue on base (white or superglue, no preference);
Dip mini in static grass;
Remove excess;
With mini upside down, gently tap on bottom to encourage upward movement! (and remove any other excess grass!)

So? Good or not?

Fred

Reply with quote Back to top
razialOffline
Post subject: RE: Any favorite Static grass and what  PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 - 06:02 PM

I have always used a electro magnet to make mine stand up..... I am not sure if GW's grass is really static grass though... I tend to not buy their hobby products as they charge and arm and a leg and another arm for simple train modeling supplies.

AxtklingeOffline
Post subject: RE: Any favorite Static grass and what  PostPosted: Sep 27, 2011 - 03:22 AM

Portugal
I haven't been using static grass for a long time now but I used when I started basing minis, and I did exactly as you mentions SBG.
After reading razial post (and some others in TFF) if started using it again I might try the electro magnetic trick.

@ razial: How exactly did you used the elctro magnet?
I've read of ppl that used a comb for the same effect (after placing the static grass in the glue)...

razialOffline
Post subject: RE: Any favorite Static grass and what  PostPosted: Sep 27, 2011 - 04:49 PM

I have tried the comb.... its messy... i use and old dry brush brush..... and hold the magnet right above the model and help pull the grass up if its not standing on its own..... oh one more thing... I use a shaker.... its like a bottle with holes in the top and it sprinkles the grass... so no clumps or your not laying the grass all the way in the glue and making it a PIA to make stand back up...... a good place to check this out is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klMcCTpMdLs&feature=related

razialOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2011 - 04:51 PM

this is how to make one... and check out some other u tube vids and it shows you how it works..... and how I make mine work is not by driving a nail into the surface but lay a paper clip so it just rests in the glue on the base. Bent a little so I can use my hands to shake the canister.

Hope this helps.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic