NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 29, 2024 - 04:26 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tooter Booter rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2011 - 07:51 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Winni wrote:
Wherever and whenever it is, anything with less than 480 players would be a failure.

Personally I'd consider a 240 coach tournament in Australia or a 300 coach tournament in the US a success too. Size isn't everything.

Reply with quote Back to top
DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Netherlands
      zootsuitjeff wrote:
If I'm participating in presenting a NA bid, (hopefully I will be), I would definitely encourage it to be scheduled in between Chaos Cup in Chicago & Spike in Vancouver. Just imagine, a BB Grand Tour where you could attend two majors & the world cup in the span of just over two weeks!
If you arrange something like that I would guess that only few people would opt for this. Judging from the number of people attending both the Spike and Chaos Cup this year, I doubt many will do this. Actually, I think a WC could be serious competition for the majors.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2011 - 11:30 AM

United States of America
DJ, that is not what ZSJ is referring to. He is saying that if you are going to Fly to the US from say Europe or The little island in the middle of nowhere filled with over sized rodents. It might be more alluring to make it a whirlwind sweep and catch all 3 in short order. Great for the Aus as they can also make the Downunder mud bath. All they are missing then is the Dungbowl and the SudsBowl. (Be insane to catch all 6 in one year)

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2011 - 03:14 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I think DJs point is that some North American coaches or even international coaches may not attend one or both of the majors because they go to the World Cup instead. I know several of the Aussies who flew to the 2011 did a set of "warm up" tournaments prior, but this is a balancing act and like time of year some people are bound to be inconvenienced either way.

WinniOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2011 - 03:35 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
      Winni wrote:
Wherever and whenever it is, anything with less than 480 players would be a failure.

Personally I'd consider a 240 coach tournament in Australia or a 300 coach tournament in the US a success too. Size isn't everything.

A 20 coach tournament at the North Pole might be considered a success too, but not if the tournament was the World Cup. All i´m saying is that the main factor for the location of the World Cup should be accessibility.

If 300 american coaches would come to a World Cup held in the U.S., you might get another 200 from the rest of the world. I somehow doubt that would be possible in Australia. If the next World Cup was to be held in Europe, you will probably and easily get more than 500 coaches from Europe alone.

And anyhoo, dont believe what your wife tells you... size does matter Wink.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2011 - 04:05 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The question is balancing the NAF's commitment to running a global organisation with a real "World Cup" against just running the biggest tournament possible. In practice a European based World Cup will inevitably be bigger than in any other continent because about three quarters of the members are European. The NAF needs to decide whether it is a global organisation providing value to all its members, or whether it will only focus on providing to the majority of members all the time.

Its worth thinking about all the factors that go into making a good tournament, let alone a World Cup, and its pretty easy to take this to extremes and say for example 1000 people turning up to a badly run tournament, where its too cold and you can't move around properly, with no food or drink on site, no prizes and relying on doing the scores by hand probably wouldn't be a very good experience. On the other hand going to a wonderful venue, with great and reasonably priced food and drink, plenty of space and fantastic organisation, but only 500 people may be a "better" World Cup. Once you accept that size is not everything and other factors matter then its about how you weight them against each other.

In my mind one of the factors that should be considered is attempting to balance the commitment to be a global organisation, so having a bid in a new continent would actually be a benefit for that bid against bids from previous hosts. This then needs to be balanced against all the other factors that are considered - including size. FIFA have taken this to a logical extreme and made the Football World Cup rotate between continents. I don't think we can do this because I don't think there are enough suitable bidders from every region to justify it.

BTW I would like to point out I think both WCs to date have been done really well and this is in no way an indictment against those organisers.

nick_namelessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2011 - 09:21 AM

I lied and said Chaos Cup, but then I will have attended the Chaos Cup by the time this comes around Very Happy

Vegas!

DMBBL

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 02:00 AM

Aurora, IL, USA
I like the discussion that is going on in this thread so far.

I think that Doubleskulls brings up a very good point in that, the naf is a worldwide organization. I understand that many people think a WC with less than 500 people would be a "failure" because it could have more.. but that's the wrong way to go about things. Running the event in the same place all the time defeats the purpose of marketing it as a "World Cup". I understand that no matter where the event takes place, some people WILL miss out. If held in Europe, most Americans will miss out. If held in the US, Europeans will miss out. There is no perfect system.

This poll and thread was created to get a general idea of where people would like to see the World Cup go next. This poll in no way, shape, or form speaks for the NAF or the World Cup committee. I am doing this as research, for my own knowledge, to find out if the interest is even out there for a North American based World Cup.

Don't worry... you WILL get an overview of what I've found out - and I can tell you for certain, the USA WILL have a well put together bid for the 2015 NAFWC.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 02:26 AM

Aurora, IL, USA
I will say, so far I have taken in just over 100 surveys. Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill one out -- if you have not, please take a moment to do so.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 03:29 AM

Spain
I think it will be desirable to have an USA or Australian WC.

And as a committed player, I will try to be there. The same will do a number of coaches, who are very enthusiastic. Enough coaches to have a big, still representative WC IMO.

I think NAF TO could help by prospecting attendance from every country. I do think that, even not being accurate, will be informative if you will have 5 or 50 spanish players in a USA WC, for example.

dr._rudolf_von_richtenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Alkaline13 wrote:
If held in Europe, most Americans will miss out. If held in the US, Europeans will miss out. There is no perfect system.

The logical conclusion of this would be to hold it in Antarctica, then everyone will miss out! Razz

More seriously, I believe that at some point it would be good to hold the World Cup in the US. I just don't believe that point has been reached yet, and that the upcoming one or two world cups should be held in Europe before other continents can be considered.

It is true that the NAF is supposed to be a global organization, and that it therefore should provide equally for all members, but it is also true that most of those members are based in Europe, and that Europe should therefore weigh heavier in the equations.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 05:29 AM

Aurora, IL, USA
      dr._rudolf_von_richten wrote:
      Alkaline13 wrote:
If held in Europe, most Americans will miss out. If held in the US, Europeans will miss out. There is no perfect system.

The logical conclusion of this would be to hold it in Antarctica, then everyone will miss out! Razz

More seriously, I believe that at some point it would be good to hold the World Cup in the US. I just don't believe that point has been reached yet, and that the upcoming one or two world cups should be held in Europe before other continents can be considered.

It is true that the NAF is supposed to be a global organization, and that it therefore should provide equally for all members, but it is also true that most of those members are based in Europe, and that Europe should therefore weigh heavier in the equations.

When the times for choices comes.. we will see Wink

I can only hope for the best Very Happy

TripleskullOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Denmark
I have great sympathy for the idea of a CW in the states or the Australia.

I don't like the options in your pole though, and that kept me from submitting. I think you ought to give the choice between Australia, Europe and the states - if other is relevant that option too.

After that you might ask about favorite location in the states etc. I would go for Vegas. Smile

I think 1/4 WC out of Europe sounds about right. SÃ¥ maybe the next one is the right one to be the first?

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 11:12 AM

United States of America
In MHO if the WCIII was held in NA you would get a decient showing. A large lot from IS/Canada, about the same number of aussies, and at least 10x the number of Euros than NAs in WCII

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 12:34 PM

United States of America
Yeah I think putting together a strong North American bid is helpful organizationally for us North Americans, even if it is unsuccessful. Eventually I'm sure we will be even if it isn't next time. I think places like France, Italy, & Spain also have very strong arguments for hosting WC. But that just means they need to get their act together and put in a strong bid! I think it should be thought of as a competition to be the best hosts we can be. Perhaps the US can't actually win the World Cup, but maybe we can win the location bid!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic