NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 29, 2024 - 02:31 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Max Kneecap Mittleman found dead. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TripleskullOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Denmark
Or maby the world cup of bb should just be a world cup for Europeans like the Super bowl is a world championship for americans. Laughing Wink

ps. I love NFL. Greatest sport in the world!

Reply with quote Back to top
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 03:38 PM

United States of America
In history Europe was referred to as the old world, so as history names it ... We can have a New World World Cup

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 03:39 PM

United States of America
      zootsuitjeff wrote:
Yeah I think putting together a strong North American bid is helpful organizationally for us North Americans, even if it is unsuccessful. Eventually I'm sure we will be even if it isn't next time. I think places like France, Italy, & Spain also have very strong arguments for hosting WC. But that just means they need to get their act together and put in a strong bid! I think it should be thought of as a competition to be the best hosts we can be. Perhaps the US can't actually win the World Cup, but maybe we can win the location bid!

If (and a weak if at that Laughing ) Europe gets '15 I feel strongly it should be hosted by Spain.

nick_namelessOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 09:38 PM

You might get more Americans to come to Europe if you time the event differently. The dates this year are very close to Thanksgiving, and a lot of people would have other travel plans. If the next event is in the states it would almost have to be in another part of the calendar.

DMBBL

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2011 - 09:53 PM

United States of America
      nick_nameless wrote:
You might get more Americans to come to Europe if you time the event differently. The dates this year are very close to Thanksgiving, and a lot of people would have other travel plans. If the next event is in the states it would almost have to be in another part of the calendar.

Labor Day weekend or Just before (4th-5th-6th September 2015)

PipeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 02:33 AM

England
A North American World Cup would be fantastic.

I think this is the key point:
      Doubleskulls wrote:
The question is balancing the NAF's commitment to running a global organisation with a real "World Cup" against just running the biggest tournament possible.

I'd bet an awful lot would travel to N America from Europe. Though it would be dependent on various factors:

-plenty of planning and notice, years in advance
-a practical location and time of year to keep costs down as much as possible
-possibly even direct NAF financial support (as with world cup I) to keep the ticket price low

Of course a fair and open bidding process would have to take place.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 03:00 AM

United States of America
      Pippy wrote:
A North American World Cup would be fantastic.

I think this is the key point:
      Doubleskulls wrote:
The question is balancing the NAF's commitment to running a global organisation with a real "World Cup" against just running the biggest tournament possible.

I'd bet an awful lot would travel to N America from Europe. Though it would be dependent on various factors:

-plenty of planning and notice, years in advance
-a practical location and time of year to keep costs down as much as possible
-possibly even direct NAF financial support (as with world cup I) to keep the ticket price low

Of course a fair and open bidding process would have to take place.

when you say keeping the ticket price down ... the last one was 120 Euros ~ $170US with a buffet lunch. How much would be fair for the same plus 3 nights in a hotel (mind you 2 people in a room) $300US? (If you book at a Hotel you get a good discount on the room rate)

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Sweden
      dr._rudolf_von_richten wrote:
It is true that the NAF is supposed to be a global organization, and that it therefore should provide equally for all members, but it is also true that most of those members are based in Europe, and that Europe should therefore weigh heavier in the equations.

I think I'm correct in saying however that the USA has the single largest number of NAF members, in terms of nation of residence.

This is balanced out by the relative size, both geographically and population, of the USA and Europe as a whole.

dr._rudolf_von_richtenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Thadrin wrote:

I think I'm correct in saying however that the USA has the single largest number of NAF members, in terms of nation of residence.

This is balanced out by the relative size, both geographically and population, of the USA and Europe as a whole.

Probably true, but that's not a big surprise, considering the US population is about 4 times that of the largest european country*, Germany, and 5 or more timse that of every other one.

Anyway, it's quite besides the point, since the current discussion is not about which country should host the next World Cup, but on which continent it's supposed to be held.

*Not counting Russia.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Undisclosed
Anyway, it's quite besides the point, since the current discussion is not about which country should host the next World Cup, but on which continent it's supposed to be held.

Really? I must have missed that one - I thought this thread was about gauging interest about locations for a NA bid.

I was under the impression it's was about individual bids, not specific continents.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 12:29 PM

United States of America
      Darkson wrote:

Really? I must have missed that one - I thought this thread was about gauging interest about locations for a NA bid.

I was under the impression it's was about individual bids, not specific continents.

Gotta start somewhere. I see his point with macro economics as Canada has equal chance in hosting as the US as far as the NA continent goes

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 02:21 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
      Darkson wrote:

Darkson - You're correct. I DID create this thread to gauge interest about locations for my bid. However, you know how the internet works Laughing and now we seem to be in another place.

However.. I'm using the information that people are posting here as food for thought. So while people may not be convinced that North America can handle the cup, it won't stop me from making a bid for the next World Cup.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 03:04 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Darkson wrote:

Me too, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I'm really glad that it looks like we will get serious bids from several continents.

dr._rudolf_von_richtenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 03:26 PM

Darkson wrote:

The post by Alkaline to which I originally responded was about America vs Europe as a suitable location. That was what I meant by 'the discussion'.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
I'm all about discussion -- let's keep this thread going! and Dr. Rudolf- I must have misunderstood as well. I appreciate your response though.

Everyone is giving me a lot to take into account.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic