NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 05:18 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
This happened to me only yesterday rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PipeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 - 02:56 AM

England
      daloonieshaman wrote:

when you say keeping the ticket price down ... the last one was 120 Euros ~ $170US with a buffet lunch. How much would be fair for the same plus 3 nights in a hotel (mind you 2 people in a room) $300US? (If you book at a Hotel you get a good discount on the room rate)

Don't want to get into details at this stage. The general point is that it would encourage travel if costs were kept down.

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 - 04:56 AM

wasn't the italian bid cheaper last year and amsterdam picked cause it was thought easier to get too for international players?

I think each bid will be considered on merit as they will all probably have different advantages and disadvantages compared to each other

Jon

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 - 01:53 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
      Grumbledook wrote:
wasn't the italian bid cheaper last year and amsterdam picked cause it was thought easier to get too for international players?

I think each bid will be considered on merit as they will all probably have different advantages and disadvantages compared to each other

As they should!

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2011 - 01:44 AM

Spain
I think NAF WC location will be easier itinerant if we could finally set up a set of continental NAF tournaments every 4 years (so, an international NAF team event every two years).

Most traveler players will enjoy the opportunity to have such a big tournament every two years (wherever it will be) and people who won't go outside their continent still have the chance to have an international meeting.

I also think that public bidding and more information about bids characteristics, comitee of venue election and so will help so much to understand these important (in terms of BB, of course) decissions.

Sorry for the off-topic.

DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2011 - 03:15 AM

Netherlands
I don't think there should be more than two consecutive World Cups on a single continent. Especially Europe. I think right now an American WC would probably live up to expectations. If the next WC were held in Europe the next WC is probably going to be either disappointing (because expectations seem to be that it will be bigger than the NAF actually is) or so massive that a subsequent US WC would struggle to live up to expectations.

DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2011 - 03:21 AM

Netherlands
      Doubleskulls wrote:
I think DJs point is that some North American coaches or even international coaches may not attend one or both of the majors because they go to the World Cup instead. I know several of the Aussies who flew to the 2011 did a set of "warm up" tournaments prior, but this is a balancing act and like time of year some people are bound to be inconvenienced either way.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Canada
We are hoping to get a NA team championship run before the 2015 bidding so lets see how that goes......

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2011 - 10:00 AM

United States of America
Just to be an ass. Mandalay Bay 's 180,000sf room, with 3 lunch buffets, and suites (shared rooms) for 2000 people is $304 per person (weekend of September 18th) so space and lodging are not a problem. (It is like getting 3quotes nights in a major hotel amd rhen getting a gteat weekend of bloodbowl free)

Rabid_BogscumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2011 - 12:41 AM

Australia
Book it on a weekend the Ufc is in town please

T/O Eucalyptus Bowl
Sydney, NSW - 13th-14th July
Australasia's Major

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2011 - 10:29 AM

United States of America
I spoke with Virgin Atlantic, Delta, Klm, Iberan<?>, Luftansa, Air France

1) You can book an entire plane (or planes) for your filght at a good discount
2) Virgin Atlantic offers non stop service from Gatwick <sp?> UK to Las Vegas

They could not get me a price of course as they do not project that for out but to do it today would be about 600pounds per person round trip (I think this also includes the First Class Seats <dibs>)

Why would you book en entire plane. Well your coming anyway might as well have some bitchin fun for 11 hours

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2011 - 04:16 PM

that's not really any cheaper than just booking it anyway (apart from the first class seats)

of course it would be more fun to have a whole plane of ppl you know, not even something I'd even have considered asking them

Jon

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
before we get derailed too far -- just want to update everyone. I have roughly 125 surveys back so far, I have updated the "majors" section to reflect a "none" response

Thanks again to everyone that has filled one out

millandsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2012 - 06:24 PM

I know for myself, and many people who would go to a World Cup (and some that did this time), flying all the way to the US would be a huge undertaking, and one that'd require a lot of thinking, considering the huge changes in price between flying from the UK to anywhere in Europe (I can find a flight to nearly anywhere for about £100 tops), and flying to the US, where it costs around £500-600.

Multiplying the transport costs by 5, and that's not even taking into account generally (from my personal experience of going around Europe and the US East Coast) cheaper hotels and accommodation in Europe, would mean that the chances of many Blood Bowl players from Europe purposefully going to the US for a tourney would be a hell of a lot fewer than those who would go to another European country. I know I wouldn't be able to afford it even if I wanted to, where as I might be able to swing flying to Berlin, or Amsterdam, or Madrid or Rome even. Even Prague would be fine (especially given the cheap drinks!).

So yea, you have to consider the huge hike in transport costs before making a generalisation that Europeans would be more likely to fly to America, than Americans would fly to Europe.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2012 - 06:53 PM

United States of America
Mill,
Yes of course the airfare would be higher
but
Hotel, food, beer are by far generally cheaper

A dump in Amsterdam was $100 + a night
Whereas a Dump here is $40ish
you can go fairly lavish for $100ish

and if NAF gets it act in gear we would know 3 years in advance for 2015 and 4 years in advance for 2019 as to the location of the WC giving those who want to go a chance to save the money. Hell £50 a month is £500 in 10 months so in 13 or 14 months you would have everything you need. double that if you cannot float £50 and only have to save £25

And in most NA locations you will have accommodations in the same location as the event

Yes I understand the difference between people who want to go and people that fancy the idea of going. People who want to go will overcome the logistics and be there. It sounds to me like you fancy the idea of going and do not really want to go.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2012 - 08:35 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      millandson wrote:
flying from the UK to anywhere in Europe I can find a flight to nearly anywhere for about £100 tops), and flying to the US, where it costs around £500-600.

£500 increase in travelling expenses per European participant? So what you're saying is, if all 450 Europeans out of the 480 participants from the last one wanted to go to one held in NA it would cost about £225,000, or $356,000 USD in additional travelling expenses?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic