NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 03:51 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You sneaky git! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VolstaggOffline
Post subject: The NAF World Cup Touring System  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Switzerland
I already posted this idea sometime ago. I think everything would be easier if we would set a rotating World Cup Program, like for example:

Europe/North America/Europe/Australia/ and once again E/NA/E/Au

So as this last year the WC was held in Amsterdam (yes, that's Europe boys) the next one should be in North America, and so on...

This way we would always know where the next WC is going to be played well in advance and we could foresee ( or at least have a better idea ) what the attendance would be.

This would help all of us, since in North America are already planning to run their Team Championship, and in Europe there's a lot of talking about a similar Team Tournament, which could possibly "steal" players from the WC.

Another good reason to this formula is to make it easier to all players around the globe the possibility to attend a WC...

I think it's more fair for all even if it means that some WC would have less attendance than others, or a less diversified one, and it gives more time to the possible organizers...

Just an idea.

Reply with quote Back to top
txapoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 11:53 AM

Undisclosed
yes good idea,... but what if the japaneese korean and chinese sudenly star playing Bb buy milons:

better write Asia-Oceania instead of Australia

and if one year the Australians dont want to do it you can always do it in Turkey what is Asia and just over the border with europe!!! Twisted Evil

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 11:55 AM

United States of America
I don't like this idea. Running the World Cup shouldn't be forced on anyone/any country.

If a group of coaches has a great bid and is willing to take on the massive amount of work and stress it will entail.... they should be the ones to host it.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Undisclosed
      Jonny_P wrote:
I don't like this idea. Running the World Cup shouldn't be forced on anyone/any country.

If a group of coaches has a great bid and is willing to take on the massive amount of work and stress it will entail.... they should be the ones to host it.

+1.

I'm all for the WC going out of Europe, but only if there's a worthwhile bid. I'd also have no issues with it doing US/Oz (or Oz/US) if they were the best bids.

So yes to the WC in Oz, Canada, US, Japan, South Africa, wherever.
No to fixed continents on a rota.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

VolstaggOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Switzerland
      Jonny_P wrote:

It´s not about forcing anyone, but about trying to make the WC accessible to all.

We are not the Olympic Federation so if we can find a better/fairer system than to say "just the best bid wins", we should at least think about it.

What makes a bid better than the others, is also a nice question.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 02:59 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Jonny_P wrote:

Huge +1 from me. The worst scenario would be if a region knew they were getting it, but the "organisers" weren't really up for it and it fell flat on its face. I'd rather have it in Europe every time than risk a flop (and I'm one of those keenest to see it travel!).

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 03:05 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Volstagg wrote:

And I think this is the answer. One of the things people would do with a normal bidding/scoring process is set the criteria and then weight them. The judges then score each criteria and you end up with a sub-total of the weight times the score (or something similar). So its relatively easy to add a criteria in terms of recent WC hosting, so that we are more likely to pick a new region rather than just the one that is "best" if we didn't take that into account.

I think its pretty clear that another criteria would be expected attendance (the bigger the better) and obviously we'd need to think careful about the balance between these two so that a non-European bid for a tournament with x coaches doesn't always lose with a European bid with 2x coaches (or whatever ratio).

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 03:07 PM

United States of America
I agree with the principal that the World Cup should move around to different parts of the world and that should be a factor in the bidding process, but there shouldn't be a set rule for rotations.

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 03:13 PM

United States of America
      zootsuitjeff wrote:
I agree with the principal that the World Cup should move around to different parts of the world and that should be a factor in the bidding process, but there shouldn't be a set rule for rotations.

+1

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Canada
      Glamdryn wrote:
      zootsuitjeff wrote:

+1

Yeah +1.

Doubleskulls' point is very good too. If there are voting/weighting categories it is easy to add points for "new continent" but the merits of the overall bid have to be super high to win.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Canada
      Quote:

this is a great point too as doubleskulls said. We are posting the NATC criteria in the next little while so that can be discussed on its merits.

blammahamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Canada
I don't think the world cup should ever be held in North America...certainly not right now. I read in another thread that 100 NA coaches would come for sure. I don't think that is an absolute at all as between the two NA majors last year there was only 112 coaches. 100 may not be many in Europe but it is sort of a holy grail of numbers for us over here. Geography and coach density just doesn't justify having it here, or Ausrtalia to me. I'd rather go to a 500 coach event in Europe than a 200 coach event in NA. There is only one city in NA that could host it IMO , Las Vegas, and I've been there... Once, not really my kind of place. However, logistically it is the only realistic option that would attract 100+ NA coaches.

Keep the world cupin Europe, it will be better for it, at least until the community in NA could realistcly get a comparable experience. S.

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 05:56 PM

United States of America
      blammaham wrote:
I don't think the world cup should ever be held in North America...certainly not right now. I read in another thread that 100 NA coaches would come for sure. I don't think that is an absolute at all as between the two NA majors last year there was only 112 coaches. 100 may not be many in Europe but it is sort of a holy grail of numbers for us over here. Geography and coach density just doesn't justify having it here, or Ausrtalia to me. I'd rather go to a 500 coach event in Europe than a 200 coach event in NA. There is only one city in NA that could host it IMO , Las Vegas, and I've been there... Once, not really my kind of place. However, logistically it is the only realistic option that would attract 100+ NA coaches.

Keep the world cupin Europe, it will be better for it, at least until the community in NA could realistcly get a comparable experience. S.

I for one disagree with this sentiment. Numbers are not everything. Maybe we aren't there yet, but I believe we can get there, let's work on getting there, and not be so negative.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 06:15 PM

British Columbia, Canada
I don't think he's being negative Jeff, I think he's being realistic at this moment in time. If North American coaching concentration and number of NA travelling players should increase in the future then this conversation is moot. When it's that then we should talk about it hosting WC here.

Jonny_P wrote:

Absolutely. Based on the coaching counts in NA vs. Europe affirmative action should still exist when selecting attending teams, but it should never be a consideration for choosing a host city or host continent. Best bid per year.

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 06:36 PM

United States of America
You can call it realistic. I call it thinking small. I belong to the "if you build it they will come" camp. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just trying to make it clear that not everyone in NA has the same opinion you guys do.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic