NAF Logo
leftstar May 09, 2024 - 09:31 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
It's only a 2+ roll. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hi all

Will admit from the start I am a complete and utter new player. me and 2 mates got together tonight with the 2nd edition boxed set, 3rd edition living rules and figured it out as we went along. After 2.5 hours we had drank several beers, had a laugh and 1 player nearly got a touchdown so we called it and agreed it was great fun!!!

Anyway, to my totally noob question .... when entering a characters death zone as part of your normal move do you roll anything? We know as you move through the zone you make a dodge roll but its the initial entry into the zone we are not sure about.

That said we are going to have another orc v human basic set game then start incorporating extra rules as we see fit.

Thanks in advance.

regards

Reply with quote Back to top
XtremeOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 - 06:26 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Tackle Zone, and no. You only have to roll to leave.

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 12:50 AM

Thanks, and showing my n00b'ness even more by not knowing the zone name didn't help Smile

You seem a decent fellow... I hate to die.

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 02:13 AM

Sorry, another n00b question but thought would keep on same thread: We have an old boxed set with V3 of the rules and death zone as tbh thats what we prefer to play, what's the difference between those rules and the 'living rulebook 3' that GW have online? Even just a quick read there was some bits in red writing so are they new/amended rules? Can you use the death zone set with the LRB3?

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 02:53 AM

United States of America
I'd advise you to have a look and at least try out the Competition Rules Pack, which is the most recent ruleset and equivalent to LRB6. It's what the vast majority of tournaments use these days:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2350017a_m780049a_Blood_Bowl_Competition_Rules.pdf

IMHO is quite a clean well balanced set of rules, with perhaps a couple of exceptions. But of course, if you are enjoying a different ruleset, you can use that as well. It's all about having fun.

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for that, can the dead zone supplement be used with the competition rules easily?

sann0638Offline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 04:46 AM
President

England
The CRP replaces all previous rules, basically, including Death Zone. The basic mechanics (block dice etc) are the same, but lots of skills work slightly differently. If you start with CRP then you won't need to change if you play online, play other people etc. Where are you based - there might be some local players to help you out?

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 05:00 AM

We are all based in SE England by Gatwick. Did see mention about something in Tunbridge Wells but only I have transport and I am a stay-at-home dad so likely to just be small games between friends round ours.

In regards to the computer games, how closely do the xbox and pc legendary versions come to the main rules? Thinking of getting it to help practice at home and learn some of the rules. Someone has bought the xbox version but that was just the basic one saw was leaning towards the legendary version on PC.

Oh, can I just say it is great to get quick and helpful responses for what is actually a very old game. Does bode well for the long-term appeal of the game for us Smile

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 05:16 AM

xbox version is rubbish, avoid it

legendary edition is pretty close, though the new chaos edition will (should) be out in a few months time

Jon

sann0638Offline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 09:33 AM
President

England
Woo for stay at home dads! My boys are playing a simplified version right now Smile

Darkson
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Undisclosed
All the stuff that was added in Death Zone (Stars, Big Guys etc.) is already covered in the Competition rules, except for the handicap cards, which were frankly unbalanced, and have been replaced by Inducements.

On the PC front, if you want to get into online play, yes you're probably better off waiting for Chaos Edition later this year, but if you only want to play Single player (or hotseat mode with friends) hunt around for Legendary Edition (the current one) - you might be able to pick it for about a £5, and it's fine for that.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 01:50 AM

That is really great thanks, as we have stuck to the basic rules so far and not even looked at Death Zone we have all printed off the competition rules and going through that very slowly. Even introducing a non-roleplaying, non-tabletop gaming mate to BB tomorrow night Smile

I did take a punt and get the legendary edition as I tend to have a game or 2 ongoing through the day (little un is 2 so needs quite a bit of supervision) and was very proud when I got my 1st touchdown on easy Smile

Yet another question though: Been clarified that you don't roll dodge when entering a tackle zone but do you roll when you move through a players tackle zone or just when you leave it? I 'suspect' its only when you leave but yet again just wanted to clarify.

KhailOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 02:37 AM

United States of America
You roll when moving through a player's tackle zone. It's technically when you leave a square in a player's tackle zone to move to any other square, in that player's tackle zone or not.

Commissioner
Rat City Blood Bowl League
Seattle, WA

bronko81Offline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 02:37 AM

Concerning the Tackle Zones: you have to roll for every square "within". Just see it that way: take every square of movement on its own, and when you leave a square that's in a tackle zone, you will have to roll. Mind the -1 modifier for every tackle zone on the target square.

So let's make an example of "passing by" an enemy player through 3 squares of his tackle zone: X is your player, E is the enemy player, _ is an empty square and Os are the enemy's Tackle Zone.
      Code:
__OOO_
__OEO_
X_OOO_

1st square is empty and no TZ, so no roll at all.
2nd move from an empty square into his TZ - no roll required.
      Code:
__OOO_
__OEO_
__XOO_

Next move from TZ into next square of TZ - you have to roll and the -1 modifier for a TZ on your player applies (as well as the general +1 modifier for dodging, so it's +/-0)
      Code:
__OOO_
__OEO_
__OXO_

Same applies for next move:
      Code:
__OOO_
__OEO_
__OOX_

Last move: you begin this within TZ, but end in an empty square - you have to roll, but only the general +1 applies.
      Code:
__OOO_
__OEO_
__OOOX

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Totally n00b Question  PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Sorry, yet another basic question ... we don't have the block dice yet so are using a D6. When rolling a 6 though we reroll but for accuracy which of the 5 effects appears twice so we can assign that to a 6?

Am hoping to receive my dice for registering soon but not sure what the dispatch and delivery times are.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic