NAF Logo
leftstar May 03, 2024 - 10:36 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You sneaky git! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TimOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2004 - 05:56 AM

Germany
Chris:

100% ack. You expressed my feelings better than i could have done. Thanks!

OMM:

I think setting some basic rules around this issue would be good. I always thought that we could do without, ethics would be sufficient, but opinions like "these are his minis, he can de what he wants, even repaint" prove to me that this is not the case.

That means we need protection from ppl who see it as a lottery. We have to rule out "hey, i enter a 4 Euro miniature and can get a 50 Euro team back" attitude. Maybe the rule i presented (auctioning within the group) is the wrong one, because it still allows business to be made. on the other hand, if we strictly rule out making profit within the group the chances are higher that some weasel will list the team on Ebay. The best thing is that the team would never be sold at all, but i don't think we can outrule that because things happen (unemployment, giving up the hobby, ec.). So the auction would at least make sure that the team ends up in the hands of the guy who is willing to pay most and is most likely not to give the team away again.

Reply with quote Back to top
SkinkFuryOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2004 - 01:43 PM

United States of America
Ethics? You have got to be kidding me Rolling Eyes

I called The Louvre, but they weren't interested in the team so I just sold it for some quick cash to buy a bottle of booze and a crack pipe. Shocked

Olympic Medal...Oscar Laughing

So the effort we put in on our minis is on par with an Olympic athlete that trains for life? If you really believe that, get over yourself! Wink

I respect the skill and care you took in crafting your contributions, but I knew the team meant a lot more to Melifaxis than it did to me, which is why I acquiesced. The trade was made in the name of friendship. It's that simple. Had anyone else approached me besides Grasshopper or Melifaxis, whom I have both known for 12+ years (and took part in the team), I would have declined.

The team was never on eBay so please don???t react like it was. I thought the whole point of this thing was supposed to be F-U-N? If you would like to place guidelines for future teams - by all means do so ??? just do it in advance. Depending on the nature of the guidelines people will choose to participate or not participate.

p.s. Yes, Mel is really annoying BP Very Happy

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2004 - 03:34 PM

Okay, maybe the Olympic medel was a poor analagy. I was just trying to come up with something that held more sentimental value than money, as I didn't like the lottery analagy.

BTW, Skink, as I have already said, I have no problem with you giving the team to Mel for the exact reasons you stated before (long friendship, if it had been anyone else, you would have refused, etc.).

Chris

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 06:12 AM

United States of America
A few Plazmaboy pics are now up on the site...more will follow of the other mini's tonight/tomorrow and by Monday you should be able to see everything...sorry this is taking so long. Camera issues are behind me now though Smile

Fair enough Chris, it is somewhere in between, which I think is the distinction that really needs to be made. We don't have to define it exactly. Very Happy

Ok, I guess I need to go to work now Sad

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 10:54 AM

Germany
The Plazmaboy looks really cool....what miniature did you use to convert it?

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 11:42 AM

United States of America
Thanks Very Happy

It's a 40K archive "Bad Doc", archive "Giant's Ale Barrel", some greenstuff and the arm of a plastic orc thrower. I tried to sculpt a whole arm, but it came out pretty poorly so I just snipped the plastic arm that was closest to the angle I needed and used a little greenstuff to supplement it.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 11:47 AM

Germany
where did you get the Giant's Ale Barrel....meaning how do I find it on the online store.....I'm looking for barrels for my dwarf dugout Very Happy

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

GrasshopperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 11:50 AM

United States of America
HOLY CRAP!! Nice job, Mel. You're painting defintely improved along with the Pic taking. I like the dungeon bowl backdrop.

I beleive the Barrel was just an Archive bit from the GW online store.

Last edited by Grasshopper on Jan 30, 2004 - 11:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 11:52 AM

United States of America
It's a great barrel. I bought several different sizes and was shocked that this was the "Giant's" as it's really what I would call a dwarf sized barrel. All the other ones I got were too small IMHO.

020904605 <--Part number

http://ussearch.games-workshop.com/search/search.asp?Restriction=ale+and+barrel&SearchButton=1&DisplayImages=1

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

GrasshopperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 11:57 AM

United States of America
      Melifaxis wrote:
It's a great barrel. I bought several different sizes and was shocked that this was the "Giant's" as it's really what I would call a dwarf sized barrel. All the other ones I got were too small IMHO.

020904605 <--Part number

http://ussearch.games-workshop.com/search/search.asp?Restriction=ale+and+barrel&SearchButton=1&DisplayImages=1

Have you seen the Giant?... That's just his hip flask. Mr. Green

And that should be perfect for Dwarves... it's got BUGMANS right in the label.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 02:08 PM

United States of America
Laughing

I greenstuffed in the XXX and tried to scracth in Amber...blood...get it? Vampire

Unfortunately, that didn't come out very well and I had to fill it back in and paint on the word Amber. Should I have used a Dremel or something?

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 02:23 PM

Toronto, ON
I am a bit disappointed we weren't informed of the trade before it happened, but in the end I don't mind because I know it went to a good place.

In the future though, I don't want want my work sold without my permission. If future painting projects like this are going to have the option of being sold then I don't want to participate.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2004 - 02:38 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I'm glad Mel has the team ... I really am. I won't be participating in any future Legacy teams. Sorry ... if years had past then I could understand (I own the first Legacy team that Milo Sharp won but I purchased it years after the lottery) ... but for it to trade hands so quickly sours the whole idea to me of the equal odds of winning the team.

I hope the next one is more laid out for the others sake ... I won't be joining. Like the others ... I think my assistant coaches could have helped me pay for my Black Widows I want to order from Phigs.

Again ... Mel ... I'm glad they have a good home. Congrats.

Galak

TackledummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2004 - 02:20 AM

Got no problems with the selling of the team myself. My belief is, as long as the team stays together and is never stripped down and repainted them sell it as many times as you like. I hope when we are all dead and gone this team is still floating around somewhere, handed down from one of us to our great, great, great, great, great...um...you get the idea...grandson/daughter. Or maybe owned by someone who was not even born or very young when this team was made. I think it just creates more value for the product, generates a somewhat material pride in owning it as well as just the emotional pride. Something like a rare baseball card. Anyway, I'll be contributing to the next team no matter what the rules. As long as I've got a picture of the mini I painted I need nothing else. I don't expect to see any mini I contribute ever again and hence have no emotional attachment to it once it leaves my hands. I also have no problems shelling out the bling bling to contribute as the fun of building and painting the mini then seeing the team come together is more than enough compensation for me.

Anyways, been talking too much...will stop now.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2004 - 10:59 AM

United States of America
More pics up...more to follow

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic