NAF Logo
leftstar May 02, 2024 - 02:09 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Undead team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
generaljasonOffline
23 Post subject: Spike! Magazine 2012: September 29-30. Surrey, B.C., Canada  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 08:43 AM

British Columbia, Canada
Wow. This event just keeps getting bigger and better! Last September's event in 2011 was a HUGE success! A Blood Bowl Major in Canada finally broke the 50 coaches mark!! Awesome for Canada, a Major, for the Pacific Northwest or North America for that matter.

Spike! 2011 was the fourth consecutive of growth for the tournament, up from 48 registered coaches last year to 56 teams by the end of the weekend. Again largest Spike! coaching turnout within it's history, and the largest BB tournament Canada has ever seen. Tied Chaos Cup for largest number of players at a North American tournament last year as well! Great year for the Majors.

Our dedicated crew from Edmonton made the trek once again, as well as coaches from Rat City Rumble in Seattle and half a dozen members from OrdoFanaticus in Oregon. Thank you Tremere, Da Scum, Khail and Weav for organizing that. I was also happy to meet Mike and Rachel from Spokane and SPEW (Star Players of Eastern Washington). They hit both NA Majors last year! Mike also won an award at both Majors as well. Good show, and thank you for introducing the Iron Mike tournament to the Pacific Northwest! I was also happy to see Dennis from Quake make the trip out. From what you told me Nuffle didn't seem to. We look forward to seeing last year's participants return and hope to see a lot of new faces as well. 2012 is going to be even bigger.  

For those of you unfamiliar with the SPIKE!, the SPIKE! Magazine Blood Bowl Championship is the Canadian Blood Bowl NAF Major. Five "Major" tournments take place annually, each in a different country. They are in chronological order:

1. The Southern Wastes Scrimmage, held each year in January at CanCon in Canberra, Australia.
2. The Dungeonbowl, held each year in March in Duesseldorf, Germany
3. The Blood Bowl (aka NAF Championship), held each year in May at GW HQ in Nottingham, England
4. The Chaos Cup, held each year in mid September at the Battle Bunker Chicago, Illinous, USA
5. The Spike! Magazine Trophy, held this year in late September in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

2012 sees the continuance of the one-week-or-no-more-than-a-fortnight policy between NA Majors, where the organizers of the Spike! Magazine and the Chaos Cup host the 2 North American Majors within 2 weeks of each other. We started this 3 years ago with Tom, with a fortnight between them in the same month. Last year we did them 7 days from each other. This year due to circumstances out of our control the Majors are back to fortnight in between for 2012. For those travellers wishing to make it out for a North American Major now you can try to make it out to both of them in one trip!

Things that have been added or changed from last year's event:

01. Spike! Champion: Going forward, Spike! Champion will be rewarded for Coaching Scores alone. Full rules can be found on the website.

02. Painting/Sportsmanship Scores: No longer added to Best Overall. Best Painting and Best Sportsmanship still have their own awards.  

03. Blow-out Bonuses: To reflect the points system, The TD bonus for a 2+ difference has been increased back to +5 points from 2. Also, with the Blow-out Casualty bonus, same criteria, same +5 points.

04. 2nd and 3rd Place Awards: As a result of making Spike! Champion rely on Coaching scores alone we have removed the Outstanding Coaching Award. We have instead replaced it with two more additional awards this year for Second and Third Place. So along with Spike! Champion, Sportsmanship, Painting, Touchdowns For, Best Defence, Casualties For, Best Stunty, and Dead Last we are giving away 10 awards this year that look like this:

Spike! Magazine 2012 Blood Bowl Grand Tournament
Dates: Saturday, September 29th, and Sunday, September the 30th, 2012

Address: 9850 King George BVLD, Surrey, B.C.
Hotel Website: http://compasspointinn.com/
Accomodations: Mention the Spike Tournament when booking a room at the Compass Point Inn and receive the Corporate Rate.  

Time: 8AM Registration Saturday

Email: thunder-bowl@hotmail.com or PM me (generaljason) here.
Web: http://www.spiketournament.com/  

Additional Information:
- $45 non-NAF pre-registration, or $50 at the door
- $40 NAF member pre-registration
- 6-game Swiss Resurrection TV 110
- Door prizes from local and online stores

This year all registered participants at Spike! 2012 will get a set of 3 official Thunderbowl block dice, complete in the traditional TB colours of silver on black, and designed by our very own Blammaham (aka Steve).

Each attending coach will also receive a pair of Spike! 2012 d6s:

And this year, after FOUR LONG YEARS OF WAITING, with continued support from the NAF, the SPIKE! MAGAZINE TROPHY is being REFORGED for 2012!!!  Very Happy Very Happy

Pre-registration will start Monday, July the 2nd, 2012 and will continue over the next 9 weeks. Hope to see you out in British Columbia 3 months from now, hopefully enjoying our late summers, a beer, and a weekend filled with the game we all love.

Stay tuned for any new developments in this thread. Any questions feel free to post away and looking forward to seeing some more of you on the other side of the pitch.

Gj.

Last edited by generaljason on Aug 04, 2012 - 06:02 AM; edited 7 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: Spike! Magazine 2012: September 29-30. Surrey, B.C., Can  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 11:12 AM

Canada
Man, I would love to come to this, but it always falls on the weekend of my wedding anniversary. And there is not enough brownie points in the world to get me out of that without serious repercussions. Someday, someday. Glad to see the Spike is surviving and thriving. Awesome job guys.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Spike! Magazine 2012: September 29-30. Surrey, B.C.,  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 12:33 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
Man, I would love to come to this, but it always falls on the weekend of my wedding anniversary. And there is not enough brownie points in the world to get me out of that without serious repercussions. Someday, someday. Glad to see the Spike is surviving and thriving. Awesome job guys.

Really? We held the Spike! in the second week of September for the last 2 years, and then only this year on the last weekend. I'm hoping you're thinking of the old dates so maybe this year you might be able to make it. Smile

Jonny_POffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Spike! Magazine 2012: September 29-30. Surrey, B  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2012 - 07:21 AM

United States of America
Website http://www.spiketournament.com/ does not seem to be working for me.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2012 - 08:34 AM

British Columbia, Canada
<sigh> I know. They were suppose to have sorted out our hosting issues beofre the weekend. Please send your requests to Warpstone for me Jonny and help a brother out. Wink

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2012 - 04:38 PM

United States of America
Will do... I'm playing in him FUMBBL on Tues nite so I will harass him then.

DaggersOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Spike! Magazine 2012: September 29-30. Surrey, B.C.,  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Canada
      generaljason wrote:
      Dwarfrunner wrote:

Really? We held the Spike! in the second week of September for the last 2 years, and then only this year on the last weekend. I'm hoping you're thinking of the old dates so maybe this year you might be able to make it. Smile

Sorry, should have been more clear. My anniversary or my sons birthday. Since the previous two years it feel on his birthday (he was born on the Sunday of the tournament two years ago). Maybe as a birthday gift to him in afew years I will take him to the Spike. He is getting pretty good at sitting still for almost two whole turns. ;P

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 06:19 PM

British Columbia, Canada
That's too bad. We did have a father son team come from the States back when we first hosted the Spike! in 2008. Sounds like you might be a way off for that, but hopefully the calendar for next year may work out for you or in future. Dying to see the Canadian East represent at the Spike! again! Very Happy

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 06:38 PM

United States of America
Aww cmon, bring him along and you guys can dress up in a Brickfar'th & Grotty Costume.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2012 - 07:53 PM

United States of America
      zootsuitjeff wrote:
Aww cmon, bring him along and you guys can dress up in a Brickfar'th & Grotty Costume.

at least Dwarfrunner would finally win something Laughing

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Canada
      zootsuitjeff wrote:

With the amount of food my kid eats, he is more of a Halfling than a goblin. And I am not nearly big enough to be Brickfar'th, I am more of Grotty's size.

daloonieshaman wrote:
      zootsuitjeff wrote:

at least Dwarfrunner would finally win something Laughing

If only it was that easy.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2012 - 10:37 PM

British Columbia, Canada
Sorry about the delay in updates folks but there were quite a few things that we needed to tie down this year gearing up for Spike! 2012, and Thunderbowl is happy to finally be able to announce all of them.

This year all registered participants at Spike! 2012 will get a set of 3 official Thunderbowl block dice, complete in the traditional TB colours of silver on black, and designed by our very own Blammaham (aka Steve).

Each attending coach will also receive a pair of limited edition Spike! 2012 d6s:

And this year, after FOUR LONG YEARS OF WAITING, with continued support from the NAF, the SPIKE! MAGAZINE TROPHY is being REFORGED for 2012!!!  Very Happy Very Happy

Registration for Spike! 2012 will begin Monday, July the 2nd and will continue on throughout the following 9 weeks.
http://spiketournament.com/?page_id=30

Please stayed tuned for any new developments as we will be in short order announcing changes to the scoring system.

Gj.

Last edited by generaljason on Jun 25, 2012 - 04:27 PM; edited 2 times in total

blammahamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Canada
This is awesome news indeed! A new spike trophy is an incredible accomplishment and I have to say congratulations to the leadership group at the NAF for their support without that this could not have been done. Lycos and company, well done sirs, well done! That being said, I also have to congratulate you Craig, with out your driving force and vision Thunderbowl would not even be the host of the Spike Grand tournament let alone be in a position to put right the oversight that lost the first trophy. You said you would get this huge task done and you did it! Thanks for being so dedicated to the tournament scene to see this project to this most fantastic conclusion. S.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 - 05:31 PM

British Columbia, Canada
I just can't wait to hold it. After 4 years I'd hug it if I could, but it's got a Edward Scissorhands quality to it. Thanks for the congrats Steve. I am just relieved that we're finally getting all this done and the Spike! trophy is back!

And if anybody wants to help us out with this venture, please visit this page: http://spiketournament.com/?page_id=1041

We've had a few keeners jump the gun and register anyway, but pre-registration for Spike! 2012 will begin Monday, July the 2nd. Registration can be found here:

http://spiketournament.com/?page_id=30

And for all past and new coaches alike, going forward, the Spike! Magazine trophy will be rewarded based on Coaching Points alone. While we have in the past awarded this trophy based on total points for Coaching, Painting, and Sportsmanship, this is not the trend of most events around the world, or any of the other Majors. (thank you Grumbledook for pointing that out!) That said, please play fair and paint your models!

Read all about the new points format and the new second and third place glittering prizes here:

http://spiketournament.com/?page_id=18

That's all the updates I have for now. Stay tuned for any new developments! Very Happy

Gj.

poundfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Like generaljason said, this year (and probably going forward), we are dropping the GW-styled convention of "Best Overall" being awarded based on a total of Coaching, Painting, and Sportsmanship scores. So we are dropping "Best Overall," but we are replacing it with two awards for Second and Third place. So now while there is no Overall trophy, there are three trophies based on coaching record.

The Sports and Painting trophies still exist of course, but their scores stand on their own.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic