NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 06:05 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Skaven team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
corominasOffline
Post subject: Some tips about realistic football grass basing, please.  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Barcelona
Hello everyone,

I need some help finishing my BB team. How to base them in a way that looks "realistic" as a grass field. Some mud, a lot of short bright grass, etc.

I've painting this 2013 my first GW miniatures ever, I bought them when I was a kid back in 1994.

The only detail I'm missing is the basing, and the protective coat of varnish, of course. I don't want them to start chipping off when playing.

I'm writing about a Wood ELf team, I will attach a picture.

You will notice some beach sand on one base, since it is way to large I will remove it.

As you can notice they're painted in a darker colour scheme and dirtier (does that word even exist?) than light green "official" theme, in my opinion a team of professional elite bloodbowl players are ready (and often) to get dirty.

Sorry for my terrible English skills, it is my 4th language.[/img]

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Some tips about realistic football grass basing, please.  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 07:44 AM

there are a lot of basing tutorials on the internet, so rather than type out what others have already done with pictures check out this one

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/339312.page

you will probably want to cover more of the base with grass than he has if you want your pitch to look less muddy

Jon

corominasOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Some tips about realistic football grass basing, ple  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Barcelona
      Grumbledook wrote:
there are a lot of basing tutorials on the internet, so rather than type out what others have already done with pictures check out this one

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/339312.page

you will probably want to cover more of the base with grass than he has if you want your pitch to look less muddy

Thanks for the answer, my flock is larger than this one and it does not look like a bright/cutten grass from a pitch.

On the other hand I have already based hundreds of miniatures for other games, and I agree this tutorial is great.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Some tips about realistic football grass basing,  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 10:22 AM

ah sorry I misunderstood what you were asking (didn't realise there were 2 minis in the picture cause it was so large and I didn't scroll)

I guess you just need to find something finer to use instead of those small stones.

Sawdust works, though you may perhaps already have something in the house you could use.
Spices or powders that are meant to be used for cooking perhaps? I'd experiment on a spare base first.
Once it's painted brown to be the mud it shouldn't really matter, especially once you add some static grass on top.

Jon

corominasOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Some tips about realistic football grass basing,  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Barcelona
In the end, they look like this.

It does not satisfy me 100% but it's enough for some fun playing.

Thanks,

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Some tips about realistic football grass basing,  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2013 - 06:32 AM

they are better than a lot I see at tournaments, not seen static grass that looks like that before

nice job though they really tie the whole team together and set them off well

Jon

corominasOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Some tips about realistic football grass basing,  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Barcelona
Thanks for the compliments, for basing I went with brown/bone light sanding over base, 70%-90% of static grass from GW coverage over the sanding and a bit nativity moss on Treeman.

The models look comic and old, and the fists are very oversized, still easy to paint.

Those were my first miniatures, kinda revival moment when I was done painting them.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic