NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 08:11 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Toot Toot rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: NAF World Cup 2015 Q&A thread  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Gaixo wrote:
Has any thought been given to introducing tiers to encourage more diversity in team type? Or would that be considered counter to the intent of the tournament?

I would like that, same with Eurobowl / Europen and NAFC as well. I know there are those who opposed to this, so hopefully wider community discussion and input will take place.

Jon

Reply with quote Back to top
PakoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: NAF World Cup 2015 Q&A thread  PostPosted: Nov 06, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Spain
This is not precisely a question but a suggestion.

Did you consider to establish an "a priori" ranking document in which candidate venues could be objectively evaluated?

Starting from n number of candidate venues, NAF could apply an objective merits scale to reduce candidates to two finalists, that could be evaluated in other terms difficult to evaluate objectively.

Setting up different categories, and relative benefits and merits from the selected comitee, and being published BEFORE the venue bid, NAF would assure the fairest way to select WC venue (i.e. in terms of reducing subjective valorization).

As an incomplete example:

Quote:
1.VENUE

1.1 Modernity of facilities: Built before 2000 (5 pts), Built 2001-2005 (10 pts), Built 2006-2010 (15 pts), Built 2011+ (20 pts)
1.2 Capacity: Up to 200 (1 pt), 201-300 (5pts), 301-500 (10 pts), 501-700 (20 pts), 701+ (25 pts)
1.3 Commodities: Bar (+15 pts), Nursery (+5 pts)
1.4 ...

2. HOSTING

2.1 Accomodation: Not Provided (0 pts), Agreement with local Hotels (75-150 €/night) (5 pts), Agreement with local Hotels (25-150 €/night) (10 pts), Free accomodation (20 pts).
2.2 Meals: Not provided (0 pts), Cold Catering (5 pts), Warm Catering (10 pts), Local Restaurants Accomodation (15 pts), Dinner Included (+10 pts)
2.3 Transport: Venue 20 km from Hotel (5 pts), Venue 10 km from Hotel (10 pts), Venue Less than 5 km from Hotel (20 pts) Venue and Accomodation in the same place (40 pts).
2.4 ...

3. ...

This would improve WC selection in different ways:

a) Reducing pressure over the selection comitee (they will work in the pre-bidding process, setting up the document)
b) Reducing human effort in upcoming editions (in terms of precisely evaluating each bid)
c) Increase transparency (bid could be public, comitee could be public as well)
d) Reducing candidates possible concerns about decissions made

LucyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2013 - 09:28 AM

Undisclosed

Why does a facility get bonus points for being build in the recent past?

I think even a list like this would provoke lots of discussion. I don't actually agree with point 2 as well. We had deals with hotels, but nobody used them.
So, this could mean that a city with excellent cheap options but no deal would get no points, but a city with few options but an expensive deal they have with a hotel would get bonus points.....

I would not recommend a list like this...... I think.

Lucy

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Spain
Dear Lucy,

As it was an example, I found quite useless to analyze it into detail.

The idea is that:

- Pick 30 (or whatever number) people. (Ideally, let players decide who could be the best representants)
- Let them decide an "a priori" ranking document
- Publish ranking, publish comitee composition
- Rank bids following a consensus document (We could assume it would be far more improved than couple examples I listed in 5 min.)
- Pick two finalists as possible NAF WC venue

Cannot imagine how an objective process could be critisized as much as using a secret comitee that doesn't need to argument their decission, just pick up the most amusing option in their opinion, that would never be known (their identities) and that is subjected to president's also subjective opinion of who is the best person to decide. As an example, I was NOT asked to participate in this decission, even being voted by a respectable number of NAF members. Guess I could be a fair option to include all these people opinions, as Lycos is representing in other way.

Don't really get this. Honestly.

LokiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 03:14 AM

England
      Pako wrote:

Cannot imagine how an objective process could be critisized as much as using a secret comitee that doesn't need to argument their decission, just pick up the most amusing option in their opinion, that would never be known (their identities) and that is subjected to president's also subjective opinion of who is the best person to decide. As an example, I was NOT asked to participate in this decission, even being voted by a respectable number of NAF members. Guess I could be a fair option to include all these people opinions, as Lycos is representing in other way.

Don't really get this. Honestly.

Some members of the Bloodbowl community do not seem able to avoid becoming overemotional in their dealings with the rest of the community. Rather than looking at the 'secret committee' as some conspiracy or personality cult you need to also factor in that anonymity allows the people involved to make a decision free of fear of being harassed by a vocal minority.

Your description of the process above seems quite close to a bidding process that would be used for standard commercial or business practices. Normally the people involved in a process like this have some level of compensation for their work and are unlikely to have to face the bidders in a personal arena where they may be asked 'so did you vote for or against my proposal?'. I for one am not involved in any way currently. In the future I would happily have my name published and ‘work for free’ in the bids process but not all would.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Spain
Precisely I guess this is one of the points stressed from my topics:

To avoid the necessity of keep a comitee identities secret to save them from critisizing.

Once you set up an objective ranking, which is barely independent of personal management (of comitee), you are indeed eliminating the pressure over this comitee.

Would be difficult to set up this document, but this is a work that is needed to do just once. And so many NAF collaborators are happy to invest time in to promote changes.

What I find our quite perturbing is to be involved personally in terms of "overemotional" or "conspiracy". I guess most of decent people (no matter their particular thoughts about NAF) would agree that as more public, transparent and objective a process is, the better is indeed. And this is truly from governments to clubs, including NAF.

Don't really get the point to be accused time by time to distrust NAF to ask for things that are merely rights out of discussion in ANY other part of a human being life.

You're free to not be interested in such matters, as you shouldn't be interested in how much UK invests in research, for example. But to be rude with others that would make things different is not only not fair, but quite offensive, sir.

This was previously pointed out so many times, I only presented an idea in a constructive, polite way to be considered because I truly thing it could reduce pressure from venue comitee and potential arguments from discarded venues.

LokiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 09:48 AM

England
      Pako wrote:

What I find our quite perturbing is to be involved personally in terms of "overemotional" or "conspiracy". I guess most of decent people (no matter their particular thoughts about NAF) would agree that as more public, transparent and objective a process is, the better is indeed. And this is truly from governments to clubs, including NAF.

I did not accuse you of being "overemotional" you have taken upon yourself to suggest that and it is the words and phrases that you used that prompted me to use the phase "conspriacy" as this what your posts seem to suggest that there is some unspoken agend to do something by a group - which is by its definition a conspiracy.

I don't know if it is a translation issue or not but you seem to have taken general statements very personally while in your own postings make what would seem to be personal attacks on both specific NAF members and the NAF in general, 'sir'.

OventaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Undisclosed
Hi pako,
I understand your wish for more transparency and openness.
I personallzy also don't think it would be needed to hide identities, as I think noone should have a problem with that.
I think it would be sufficient if just the vote would be secret.

But tackling your request with a list of objective criteria will not work to solve this from my perspective.
The sites will be so unique and so different that it will never fit into such a scheme.
And to check if a site has taken care of the obvious ( place, food, accommodation) does not require a complex catalog.
It would be a waste of energy from my perspective.
Hence I also don't see much value in your specific proposal.

Cheers
Oventa

beasoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2013 - 06:24 PM

I think the panel should be named but not their votes.

However they should not be named until after the decision has been made to prevent any FIFA style corruption so to speak!!!!!

This organisation has had enough problems recently so some degree of transparency to show that this has been done properly is needed.

rmilsomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2013 - 12:37 PM

beaso wrote:
I think the panel should be named but not their votes.

However they should not be named until after the decision has been made to prevent any FIFA style corruption so to speak!!!!!

This organisation has had enough problems recently so some degree of transparency to show that this has been done properly is needed.

I don't see why the panels votes shouldn't be included, the more transparency the better, I cant see the logic in that.

I agree with everything else you said though.

torielOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2013 - 09:00 AM

22 of november is over. We have a winner??? Very Happy

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: NAF World Cup 2015 Q&A thread  PostPosted: Nov 23, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Canada
toriel, the bids were big, see Lycos' comment from a little while ago on page 1 of this thread.

Lycos wrote:
I thought it would be good to let you know the 5 bids that are in. I have listed them in alphabetical order and they are of course a city within each of these countries. They are all terrific bids, some hard work has gone in to every one of them and for that reason, we may push back the dates for voting and questions by 7 or 14 days.

LycosOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NAF World Cup 2015 Q&A thread  PostPosted: Nov 23, 2013 - 11:45 AM
Former President

Undisclosed
I did push the date back to the 30th - But - I have most of the votes in so I will ping off a few emails and see if I can get them all in a bit quicker.

Just about all the voting team said it was a fair bit to get through and in my personal opinion, it is respectful to all the bid teams for their efforts to be fully considered.

Rando
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NAF World Cup 2015 Q&A thread  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Canada
I don't mind that the date was moved, but I was going to ask the same question as you toriel ... you simply beat me to it!

We last heard on October 24th that the final date might be moved 7 or 14 days down the road. I don't mind waiting but the wait is worse not knowing how long you have to wait Smile

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NAF World Cup 2015 Q&A thread  PostPosted: Nov 25, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Canada
      Rando wrote:
I don't mind that the date was moved, but I was going to ask the same question as you toriel ... you simply beat me to it!

We last heard on October 24th that the final date might be moved 7 or 14 days down the road. I don't mind waiting but the wait is worse not knowing how long you have to wait Smile

I think I assumed it was 7-14 days from the deadline of the 23 Nov Smile But yeah, always nice to know.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic