NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 25, 2024 - 01:56 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Miss Next Game. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Elyoukey wrote:
i think a automatic devalidation of the entries is required so there is an active action from the league comissionar to update his league year after year. So the users of the database know that the information about the leagues are no more than 1 year old.

+1

perhaps the site could also email the commissioner when this needs doing

Jon

Reply with quote Back to top
DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2013 - 06:57 AM

Canada
+1 as well. Seems like a reasonable thought.

sann0638Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 - 05:19 PM
President

England
Any timescale on this?

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 12:17 AM

British Columbia, Canada
      sann0638 wrote:
Any timescale on this?

pm sent.

kikurasisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Canada
Why PM that? I'm pretty sure others are interested in hearing about (any) progress made.

PakoOffline
Post subject: Re: NAF research in to running a League Rankings system  PostPosted: Nov 06, 2013 - 03:48 AM

Spain
      Lycos wrote:
Members,

The committee have decided to instigate research in to a new potential project. We have asked General_Jason from Canada to chair a project to look at a Global League rankings system alongside the NAF Tournament ranking system.

It is important that we word this carefully. We have said research because at this stage there are so many factors that could make this project difficult that until we research it properly, we cannot stipulate it is something that will be done in the future, or at least, how we will deliver it.

Dave/Lycos
NAF President

I just wonder if it is a suitable date to run this initiative.

Being into consideration you are performing "research" shouldn't be it done before? (as it was stated in 2011 elections)

To start such a project 3 months before the end of the 2 years period is not only fair (in terms of actions started and legated to upcoming responsibles) but also some kind of populist (near elections is a measure mostly cosmetic than effective from Lycos management).

It is welcome, as it was demanded a number of times in past years. It application is far more subjected to discussion. Specially being Lycos stated in past elections that he would not run again for President...

In any case, thank you guys for working to implement this.

SjapieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 03:00 AM

Belgium
This sounds very interesting.
Belgian leagues there's 3 leagues that are very active.
Filthy fowler league (contact me or Driesfield)
HQ League (Da_Great_MC)
League of Rodents (contact Gesmachiene or Carloz or me)

Filthy fowler league has an online database you can dig into (26 players in 3 poules (Veterans, Experienced and Rookies)). The other two work through the BBBF forum (www.bbbf.be/forum).

VanguardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Scotland
My apologies, I have the feeling that this will be a long post. Smile

First off, I'm the Commissioner for the BBBL, a small league based in Glasgow. We have eight coaches at the moment as we start our second season, the first we're using OBBLM to record. I'd be more than happy to offer the league data for this project and help out in any way I can.

I am very excited by the project and think it has the potential to offer many benefits to BB coaches around the world and re-vitalise the NAF. However, I'm not entirely clear on the scope of the project as it stands. There seem to be a few different ideas and views in the topic so far. Hopefully it is still open ended and all up for discussion.

Personally, I'd like to see something along the lines of OBBLM on steroids crossed with Facebook for Blood Bowl, meeting all of the requirements suggested on here so far. At its heart it would be a database that recorded Blood Bowl matches, but how you record that and what you do with the data afterwards offers huge potential. I beleive it should record all matches, league and tournament, progressive and regeneration, LRB4/5/6, friendly and competitive, house ruled or otherwise. The important thing (and the hardest) is to establish a flexible and robust data format that will allow this.
On top of this, you can build support for tracking leagues and tournaments, provide front pages for organisations and leagues to advertise and attract players. There can be individual team pages with pictures and fluff along with the stats, coach pages with similar information. It should support every league, tournament and match played around the world and allow them to be accurately recorded.

I dis-like the talk of Gold/Silver/Bronze leagues, that should be irrelevant at the data capture level. Once the matches are in the database, if you want to filter to just Gold standard matches, you can do that. Equally, if you want to include all matches, you can do that too. Sure, the NAF will have their standard for Official ranking, but that's a feature of reporting not recording. And if I want to see which gobbo has the most kills in matches with at least 400k of inducements and played on a Wednesday, then I should be able to do that too!
Capturing this meta-data for matches will probably be the hardest part. However, my gut feeling is that the 80/20 rule will apply. There's a handful of common rulesets that'll cover the majority of matches. Additionally, these will be defined by the League or Tournament Commissioner and so won't need to be captured every match. I envision it as a panel of options or switches:
- Base ruleset LRB4/5/6
- Additional NAF Teams Y/N
- Illegal Procedure Y/N
- 4 Minute turn limit Y/N
- Progression/Regeneration
- Round-Robin/Swiss/Knock-Out/Open/Manual
- New team value?
- Which inducements are allowed?
- etc.

I also object to recording NAF member only matches, for several reasons. Firstly, the more data we have, the better. It provides a better base for analysis and decision making. Secondly, (and I admit I'm veering into the political here) the NAF should be inclusive, rather than exclusive. Membership should have it's benefits of course, but it shouldn't prohibit recording matches. For example, non-member matches may not be linked to a central profile, so games across different tournaments or leagues will not be linked while members have profile pages recording their careers with all their teams. Also, in order to accurately track progession leagues, you'll need all matches, not just the NAF v NAF matches. I would also advocate this policy for the NAF forums, they should be open to all, with benefits such as signatures and profile pictures for members. We need to show users the benefits of joining, rather than insisting that they pay up front and see what they've bought afterwards. However, I'm digressing here.

I hope this comes across as positive and constructive as I do hope this project bears fruit.

sann0638 wrote:
My focus would be on a database of all leagues, getting this working before doing anything more complicated.

There would be arguments for (and against) staged development and delivery. I'd be in favour of it, primarily because providing some service is better than none. Also, milestone delivery targets help focus development and provide a much needed sense of achievement.
Off the top of my head:
1 - A database of all leagues/tournaments worldwide with information, contact details etc. Everything needed to attract players or find games.
2 - Add members so that they can register with leagues, find other coaches etc.
3 - Start recording high level match results (TD, CAS, Pts etc) to allow basic league and tournament functionality.
4 - Add team data to the tournaments allowing for data capture at the player level.
5 - Expand this to progressive leagues allowing for tracking of team development.
6 - Provide an open data querying method allowing members to search and filter the data.

Kilowog1 wrote:
I like the idea of league support and promotion, but don't see the need or the feasibility of a ranking system.
I like the initiative but think it's misguided. Rankings between disparate league house rules will mean nothing, but promotion of home and store leagues would help grow the game immensely.

I agree to an extent, but rankings in general don't excite me. (The fact that I'm usually near the bottom of those rankings is entirely irrelevant Wink ) However, a system that supports leagues and tournaments will also allow for ranking, and ranking in what ever way you see fit. If and how you use it is up to you.

Last edited by Vanguard on Nov 21, 2013 - 10:10 AM; edited 1 time in total

MattRobsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 - 05:49 PM

League rankings just seems like a silly idea and way to open to abuse.

blammahamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Canada
      robsoma wrote:

Very constructive, thanks! Confused

MattRobsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 - 03:04 AM

Sorry for having a personal opinion, thank you for correcting me Confused

MattRobsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 - 03:12 AM

Leagues by their nature are a closed format (ie not open to everyone to join) and as such the results are open to abuse so any rankings in turn can be abused. What is to stop me, for example, setting up a gold league that consist of me, my dog, my mum, my tv and my girl friend (listed according to skill) and then recording all my results as 8-0 pitch clearances?

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 - 03:14 AM

blammaham wrote:
      robsoma wrote:

Very constructive, thanks! Confused

Very unnecessary post. Thanks.

GaixoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 - 05:57 AM
Former President

United States of America
      robsoma wrote:
Leagues by their nature are a closed format (ie not open to everyone to join) and as such the results are open to abuse so any rankings in turn can be abused. What is to stop me, for example, setting up a gold league that consist of me, my dog, my mum, my tv and my girl friend (listed according to skill) and then recording all my results as 8-0 pitch clearances?

As has been noted before, that can be done, and has been done, with tournaments as well.

I don't find the Champion's League aspect very interesting, and that seems like the only real goal of this initiative, but that's no reason to spoil it for those that are into it.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Undisclosed
+1 to Vanguard's post.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic