NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 06:12 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Triple Skulls. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
generaljasonOffline
23 Post subject: NAF League  PostPosted: Nov 25, 2013 - 10:40 PM

British Columbia, Canada
Bloodbruthaz,

Welcome to the new League section. If some of you were wondering what was going on for the last two months I was just waiting for my status on the League boards was upped to Mod so I could actually do something. A little confusion but it's all good.

I've recently stickied all the active Leagues that have added themselves here. I added location or name of league to some in the title post. Given the number of stickys already I'll have to get an admin to separate this into countries quick or we'll be left with a page of stickys and no visibly active topics. Wink

For those who don't know me, my name is Craig McAree. The 'General Jason' handle was the name of my first Head Coach: Jason Voorhees coaching an Undead team after he was done with Crystal Lake. The name morphed into my Blood Bowl handle to the point that people still call me Jason but that's ok. Smile

I was introduced to Blood Bowl in Junior High, back in 1989 and Second Edition. Like most I liked the game but lost interest and the game collected dust. The rules back then were just way too wonky. I was reintroduced to Blood Bowl when Third Edition was the rage back in 1999 and I've been playing in a League every month every since.

I've been running the Thunderbowl Blood Bowl League since it's inception back in 1999, as well at the Spike! Magazine Tournament since 2008.

NAF League:

NAF has appointed me League Director with the goal of:
- researching how many active Leagues are out there
- how many Leagues currently have data
- what is the feasibility of the current available data vs. required server space
- what is the feasibility of new or updated software
- forming a Committee of global Commissioners to shape a League Approval Document, as well as design, rules and structure

I can't promise that this venture will be feasible which is why it's in the Research stage right now. But what I can promise is that there will be a comprehensive section of the forum for leagues and support from now on no matter how this plays out. There will be a Downloads section for coaches looking for printable Match Reports, Treasuries, and SPPs Sheets that my League uses to record data in progressive matches, only these ones will bear a NAF logo. There will also be a Commissioner's guide added to the League section for new Leagues starting out, as well as an 'OBBLM for Dummies' document. Very Happy (I'm not laughing as I'm one of them)

I can also promise that no one will be excluded based on what house rules they may employ to the current rule set. We will add filters to separate leagues with similar rule sets into groups simply for data purity, much like the desired goal of Tournaments to separate Variant game data from Core.

First Step:

Register your League on the NAF League boards. I put my own league in the sticky as well. The criteria I've used in the Thunderbowl entry is an example of things you may wish to add. Name, location, Commissioner and contact info should be first and foremost strictly for those wishing to make contact with your League and hopefully join as a result of seeing it.

Things that I added in my own entry were Venue as we host a public Game day once per month. Your Established date is a nice detail, Number of Active Coaches is also a plus. I added Number of Seasons but added a further detail of Number of LRB 5/6 Seasons as these would be the only ones worth looking at from a data stand point. And I added a Data entry because this is a question I will ask for those Leagues who already have data via a db that they could submit for the first iteration.

What kind of Schedule do you play - Open or Fixed? Play-offs? Do you play straight LRB 6.0 or do you play with some House rules? Do you have a link to your League Rules for prospective players? For Coaches wishing to join, the Duration of your seasons, how often do you play (Frequency of Play), and how many games per season are 3 big questions when committing to playing in a progressive League.

If you have a local Forum, linking that in your entry post is a good idea, as well as Email. And if you have a Calendar of events - definitely add that!

If you have a Database be sure to list it. OBBLM preferred, Aros is good too. If it is feasible, those with already existing databases will be eligible to join the first iteration of a NAF global League database.

The Dream:

My goal is to unite ALL the leagues of the world onto a global NAF League database. I want to separate those leagues according to rulesets and structure to the point that Leagues could start playing each other given they play the same game. Call them Probowls - progressive league tournaments with a similar tournament schedule but full league rules - deaths, money, spps, skills, inducements, the works, and a database to make that happen.

I want us to the point that if a coach who played in one country in a Fixed Straight LRB 6.0 League for example, got a job transfer to another country with a similar local league, that coach could transfer his team over to their database and start playing with that team again in a new league.

I want the most comprehensive collection of table top Leagues and progressive data there is, so that if there ever was a revisit to the LRB 6.0 there would be a division of the cleanest data available on a global setting. But most importantly, I want to see the hobby expand here and put those communities that don't host tournaments but run a local League on the map.

First Iteration:

After the completion of the First Step - Commissioners and Leagues identifying themselves, we can separate the Leagues that have data to be included in the first iteration of data entry for NAF League. This will depend on a few things:

- the amount of data vs. server costs
- updated software to facilitate a global league database and the feasibility of that venture
- deliberations regarding League structure, rules and divisions on said database involving the community
- the finalization of a NAF League Approval Document approved by a League Committee.

League Committee:

If everything comes to pass and we've gotten this far, I'll be forming an email group where we will discuss what is needed in a NAF League Approval Document, what filters we will use to separate data groups, such as: straight rules - fixed schedule or open, house - fixed schedule or open, possibly variant games, what constitutes house rules and that sort of thing.

I'll be taking 2 guys from my own league for specific jobs, but I'll be looking for regional reps from preferably all the big Blood Bowl nations to form that Committee. I want all communities input and nobody left out. This is not going to be a Vancouver-only agenda just to be clear. Other Commissioners are going to see things I'm not going to see and so I value all constructive input.

Thanks for reading all that guys! I eagerly look forward to what NAF League may become.

Best regards,
Craig.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic