NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 03:21 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Concussion! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: Limited Time  PostPosted: May 27, 2014 - 05:15 AM

Hi all

Been a while since I posted (subs run out) but we are still playing occassionally when we can and have started our own sorta league.

Question though: When we game due to time constraints & inexperience we only usually manage between 4 and 6 turns a half. Apart from getting quicker the more we player any tips on shortening turns?

We don't like the idea of a 4 min timer as we can sometimes take quite a while discussing a rule query, plus seems a bit unfair restricting when we are still relative n00b's.

Any ideas?

Regards

You seem a decent fellow... I hate to die.

Reply with quote Back to top
GaixoOffline
Post subject: RE: Limited Time  PostPosted: May 27, 2014 - 06:00 AM
Former President

United States of America
It really is just a matter of experience, and eventually the pace will pick up. In general, though, you should always be planning your next turn during your opponent's turn. While he's agonizing over a 4+ pick-up roll, you can be considering what you'll do when he fails it.

If getting a full game in is a persistent problem, you might also try a variant with fewer players and turns, such as Sevens or Street.

blammahamOffline
Post subject: RE: Limited Time  PostPosted: May 27, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Canada
The four minute timer is great if you don't use it hard and fast, but rather like a target or a guide. That way you know how fast you have to play to get a turn in four mins, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you get faster, I know I was. S.

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Had a quick look at the sevens .. tbh not really too enthused. It seems 'ok' just lacks something for me.

As to the timer as a guide rather than a rule, that does appeal. Was also thinking (while walking the dog as you do) of making up a reference sheet with all the common stuff like kick off table, passing, injuries etc all in 1 place. Do have 1 from the game but sure can Google something better ... *hint hint* links please Very Happy

Aiming to see if people free tomorrow to try these out and see how we can go.

batcokOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Charlottesville Area
Don't sweat the time, play as miuch as you can manage. As Gaixo said, with experience will come speed. Also, if you do use a turn timer it should be turned off when you're looking up rules.

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2014 - 01:20 AM

Well we tried last night with a little extra time, better summary sheet but no timer. We did consciously try and play quicker so after two 1 hour halfs we managed 5 turns and then 6 turns (rolled riot on kickoff table).

Really good game, lots of casualties but great fun for a 0-0. Admittedly me losing my werewolf to a casualty on the first block in the first turn causing a turnover was just plain awful luck!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic