NAF Logo
leftstar May 16, 2024 - 03:04 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Concussion! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Game-OpolisOffline
Post subject: Vampire Team - I hope is doesn't SUCK!  PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 - 10:19 AM

I have started the Vampire Team for our summer league....here is the configuration I started with:

1 Vampire Lord (Vlad Dracul)
3 Vampires (Barnabus Collins, LeStat, and Count Von Krolock)
8 Thralls
Renfield
Willie Loomis
Straker
Johanthan Harker
Peter Cushing
Vincent Price
Roddy McDowell
Lon Chaney
1 RR
9 FF

We modified the rules on the Vampire Lord to say that he does not cost 90,000 per game. But he also can die if he fails to regenerate. We are using the new off for a bite rules in the 2003 Annual.

This should be an interesting season.....any thoughts?

I own a game store in Lansing, IL called Game-Opolis. I am thinking of having a NAF sanctioned Tournament in September and making it an annual event. Anyone out there interested...

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 - 10:35 AM

Undisclosed
You need more RR's, trust me. The vamps will suck (pun intended) up the RR on failed Bloodthrist's, let alone failed actions.

Also, I'd drop the Lord from the team, and the rules. He's overpowered, and even as a vampire coach, I'd say the team is more balanced without him. This is the way the teams heading when it's made official, so it would be better to get used to running the team without him.

using the current rules, the 2 teams I'd condsider starting:

4 Vamps
7 Thralls
7 FF
3 RR

Or

3 Vamps
8 Thralls
7 FF
4 RR

Of the 2, I'd probably go with the 2nd. The thralls need the extra games to try to gain skills, as the temptation will be for you to het the Vamps to do everything.
Next purchase would be an Apoth for the thralls (save for one's with skills), 2 more thralls , then start buying the rest of the vampires. Only freeboot the Headcoach or Luthor for important games.

1st skill for the vamps is Pro. Yes, Pro, not Block. Pro WILL save you RR's, trust me (when 4 out of 5 vamps fail Bloodthrist you thank me Wink ). For thralls, Block, Kick and Dirty Player are all good.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Last edited by Darkson on Jul 16, 2003 - 04:25 PM; edited 1 time in total

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 - 10:44 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I played a TR100 Vampire team last night (my TR125 HE) - 2 Vamps, 9 Thralls, 9FF & 5? TRR. I thought ow this could hurt. But the vamps kept failing OFAB and it wasn't really a pretty sight with thralls dropping like flies to his vamps and my blocking. I ought to have won by much more than 2-0 but couldn't move the ball.

Then he played Marcus (Necros TR 105?) with a reset team (2 stat decreases and another MNG) and managed a 2-2 draw and didn't fail a single OFAB.

Anyway from that I think longer term they may struggle as the thralls are soft & squishy meaning you can take them out giving the numbers to take down the vamps.

I think a hard blocking team could really mess them up big time.

That said, I like that new teams are a little weaker than existing teams. Its stops the arguments about power gaming and means you've got some more interesting variation for an experienced coach looking for a challenge.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 - 12:01 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I have to FULLY agree with Darkson. I'veplayed Vampire teams in all their variants over the last 7 years.

Lose the Vampire Lord. The team REALLY should not have a full time Lord. Freeboot for 90k is fine ... permanent is not.

Use the money for the Lord for another Thrall or two and another Reroll.

Seriously ... drop the Vampire Lord ... the team does fine without it.

My league has a Vampire team that is 4 wins - 1 losses ... it doesn't have a Lord ... if you keep the Lord you run the risk of people deciding the Vampire team is too powerful and banning them from the league. So get rid of the Lord. Also Darkson was right. The official version of the team will definitely not have a Vampire Lord, so get used to it early.

Galak

Skull_CrusherOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 - 10:51 AM

I am doing business in in the U.S. quite frequently. I also have a customer in Lansing.
Please keep me informed on your tournament idea.

Thanx,

Skull_Crusher

Wink

( redlarski@web.de)

XhilongOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 - 09:48 AM

Yes, drop the Lord and get anthor RR. you FF can go up for free.

just my 2 cents

Game-OpolisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 12:15 PM

My final choice was

3 Vampires
8 Thralls
3 RR
9 FF
10 Treasury

I played my first game and added Pro skill to a Vamp. I tied 1-1 and should have won the game. Played Dark Elves very tough team. Thralls need some skills....

Good advice on the Vamp Lord...

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 04:30 PM

Undisclosed
Unless I've got my sums wrong (not impossible) you should have a treasurey of 50k? Or did you mean you had 9 thralls?

Vamps 3x110=330
Thralls 8 x 40=320
FF 9 : 9 x 10 = 90
3 RR's 3 x 70 =210
Total= 950k

?

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 07:06 PM

I'd go for the Apoth, at that point.

-Oscar Wilde

DangerSquigOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 - 12:54 PM

I didn't think much of the new vampire team until I relised you could use rerolls for off for a bite. With that in mind I would get a as many rerolls as possible. I found the Vampire passing game to be brutal....and a lot of fun...As far as the lord ...Get rid of him...you don't need him.

Just a thought

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 - 07:13 PM

Based on the last roster I recall:

2 Vampires (220K)
12 Thralls (480K)
3 TRRs (210K)
9 FF (90K)

-Chet

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2003 - 12:21 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:

My league has a Vampire team that is 4 wins - 1 losses

When the negative skill for the vamps was discussed at TBB, I conceded to the overwhelming majority, including you, who thought that COFAB is sufficient to keep the team in check.
Now, what's your opinion (I'm not claiming anything yet, I haven't seen the team in action enough):
The intent of a vampire team (based on fluff) would not be an 80% win ratio, not even a 50% win ratio - has the coach simply gotten lucky, or can one argue that COFAB doesn't restrict the team as much as was initially thought?
BTW, the vamp team in our league has played 6 games with 4 wins, 1 tie and 1 loss.

I definitely am of the opinion that the vampires ought to be a low-tier team, and if the current COFAB isn't negative enough, then some changes should be considered, making the vamps Big Guys (no more rerolls on cofab rolls) springs to mind as a sure way to keep the team in control.

Member #52

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2003 - 01:14 PM

Undisclosed
The 3 MBBL Vampire teams have a combined lifetime record of W10/T1/L11, and I think Joe is just a very good coach. I know both Torg and myself have spent most of the time in the lower regions of the league.

Also, if you didn't realise, the teams all started (un)life with a playing vampire Lord, so this may have had some bearing on the earlier wins (like my own Wink )

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2003 - 12:17 AM

Well, we'll have to see how the various vampire teams fare in the long run, but given the ability to reroll COFAB, the hypnogaze and the statline that they have, I'm not yet convinced the team is balanced enough...

Member #52

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2003 - 08:28 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Mestari wrote:
Well, we'll have to see how the various vampire teams fare in the long run, but given the ability to reroll COFAB, the hypnogaze and the statline that they have, I'm not yet convinced the team is balanced enough...

Darkson already mentioned my opinion for me. Joe is a good coach. Darkson and Torg have both struggled greatly with this team. If you remove Joe's results with the team from the mix ... you'll have a roster winning less than 50% of its games.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic