NAF Logo
leftstar May 17, 2024 - 07:56 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
It's only a 2+ roll. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 - 08:40 AM
Da Warboss

England
I'm tempted to try Vamps at Pearlys II as well, although my Skaven may be painted sooner...

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2005 - 03:07 AM

Well my vamps will be painted, not well, but painted Wink

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2005 - 05:49 AM
Da Warboss

England
Played with them again last night, 9 men vs 11 High Elves. Although my blocking was fortunate I still managed to pull off a draw. Generated a lot more ideas of how to play them Wink

NAF #60

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2005 - 05:51 AM

Canada
      Indigo wrote:
Generated a lot more ideas of how to play them Wink

Anything new to share? I feel that I am still very much at the learning stage myself!

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2005 - 08:04 AM
Da Warboss

England
I made a concious effort to not worry about failing Bloodlust - it doesn't cause a turnover remember - and although I tried to do "free" thrall moves or 2 die blocks first, I used the vamps aggressively.

I only had 9 men against 11 but by getting the vamps stuck in his numerical advantage was lost trying to get 2 die blocks on them. On defence I always kept one back and the other two around or forward of the LoS. The thralls moved to wherever was needed and generally caused a nusiance of themselves, so much so they got both CAS and the TD. I'm not denying my dice were good but it felt like my plan actually worked.

NAF #60

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 03:21 AM

sounds similar to how I'm playing. I wouod never not move a vamp in the open for fear of failing BL. setting up the vamps deep on defence means you nearly always get a 2 die blitz on anyone coming through.

Still getting the hand of HG, which when you master it could be a huge benifit.

I do fear for vamps performance when they are out muscled, the thrall casulties will be huge!

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 05:52 AM
Da Warboss

England
Against Dwarfs I really struggled but generally speaking I think they will be better against bashy teams since they are consumate cage-breakers.

Playing lizards with them next then hopefully skavs or welfs, giving me a chance to play against all team types.

NAF #60

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 06:00 AM

Canada
      Emberbreeze wrote:
I do fear for vamps performance when they are out muscled, the thrall casulties will be huge!

It can be very scary! I have faced off against Khemri and orcs in my league, and both times came out okay. (Actually in the game against the Khemri more casualties to the vam team were caused by the vamps themselves!)

Against the orcs, I got a bit cheeky and was taking a lot of half-dice blocks against the black orcs (who had no block skill) with thralls (with block skill). It kept them down for the most part - or at least pushed away so they would have to blitz me to hit me.

In both games the Ko'd box got pretty crowded, but as I said, I came out okay.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 09:05 AM

Undisclosed
Started a Vamp team in REBBL, and boy, am I suffering!

First game is against another Vamp side. We have both taken 4 Cas. He's got 4 BH, I've got 1 Dead, 1 -AV, 1 Niggle and a MNG. Sad

I'll decide at the end of the game on wheter to keep them going or not.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Must be luck, but in the 10 or so games I played, none of my Vamps was ever hurt, but I always manage to inflict 3 casualties on the opponent (best game so far:1 dead, 1 NI, 2 BH).
I tend to use the "push my luck" way of playing with the Vamps, the opponent then focuses on them and tends to forget the Thralls.

EthrylainOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 10:42 AM

Well my vamp team didn't make half way to the first half. My vamps killed 6 thralls by failling bloodthirst, and my opponent finished the rest of my team.

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2005 - 11:46 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Indigo wrote:
Against Dwarfs I really struggled but generally speaking I think they will be better against bashy teams since they are consumate cage-breakers.

I'll play you with Dwarfs if you want, should help you get over your struggle quite easily... Wink

Indigo wrote:
Playing lizards with them next...

Hehehe, can't promise the same with lizzies, my team seems to be doing ok Twisted Evil .

224th at The World Cup II

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 - 01:58 AM

I played against Elfs yesterday.
Lost 0-2, tied 1-1 for CASs.

The 1st half was really good (play-,not scorewise). I succesfully built a cage around one of my Vamps, keeping the other to swarm around and help where needed.
I noticed the Vamps really act as magnets. My opponent was lured to the cage, then I successfuly passed the ball deep in his zone. But the Thrall had to dodge out of TZs and fell down. That's how the other coach got the ball and managed to score in the next turn.
Note to self: keep players near own Endzone to counter such plays.

I struggled in the 2nd half, as the opponent staled the game. He could have scored, but didn't have luck with some GFIs or pick-ups early on, so he didn't push his luck (he's a slow-playing, overcautious sissy, but don't tell him I said that Smile ) after that and only scored in the 7th turn.

Bottom line: I struggle with enemy passing plays, but it is more my fault than the teams'.
I start getting the knack of the team and even used HG to some success.

I also noticed an Apo is a must: he healed a dying Thrall , but a Blood Lust later on caused a NIG on another player. It would have been worse without the Apo.

Now, nothing can stop me from winning the DungeonBowl Rolling Eyes

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 - 09:58 AM

Undisclosed
Just from reading some of the posts above, and without any realy recent experience, it might be a good idea to keep a couple of Thralls back in sort of a safety position.

Not to do the blitz itself, but to atleast get a TZ on the receiver/ballcarrier. This was when you declare the blitz with the vamp, even if you fail the OFAB roll you will still at least have a TZ on the ball carrier.

Another unrelated thought on using HG...a vamp with Guard could really be useful teamin-up with another with Multiple Block. Assists only work with Multiple Block if you are only in the TZ of one of the target models. If the first Vamp gets in there with Guard and Hypnotizes one of the two...you can get more assisters in there against the multiple targets. Now assuming that you have the Thralls involved as mentioned above you should be able to get 2D against multiple opponents without much trouble.

Actually, forget the blitz..imagine having this happen on the line when you receive a KO. Especially to start the game. Smile Talk about numerical advantage...with luck you could have a pair of multiple block vamps on the line with the third with Guard.

Hmmmm...I do sort of like the Thrall models. Neutral

EDIT: Well I have to back off of this a bit. I didn't know that once the OFAB roll is failed, that makes that vamp only able to do a basic move action. I thought they'd still be able to throw a block if they were next to an opponent or if it was a blitz.

I just played a couple of games on FUMBBL with a Vamp team to see how they worked,,,not good. Neutral Although I do think that the dice engine is not completely random on there...I think it gets caught in ruts....but that is a different topic for a different thread. Smile

I'm back to the idea of developing the Thralls. Rolling Eyes

NAF Member #5236
---

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic