NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 06:05 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Waterbowl are the world champions! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2005 - 07:09 AM
Da Warboss

England
I played vampires for the first time last night and took 4RR for 3 vamps. I found that I used re-rolls on bad blocks more than I did on bloodlust so I am wondering if 5 re-rolls really will be sufficient or I will need 5 re-rolls AND pro on two thirds of my vampires. The latter seems somewhat like overkill to me but time and practice will tell. I also toyed with the idea of dropping to 2 vamps but then that feels like losing my best players to the fear of Bloodlust. I'm not sure I like the idea of playing with too many 6337 players!

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Canada
I found getting used tot he stats of the thralls a bit of getting used to as well. I found something that helped me was to think of them as slow clanrats!

I wuld still go with the 3 vamps in a tourney - cause if one gets knocked out or casualties, then having only one vamp is rough.

I would not be worried about too many rerollls for the vamps - like I said if you don't fail the bloodlust, there are many other things you end up wanting to reroll as well!

And for the OFAB - some games my vamps are on a diet, and others they think they're at an all-you-can-eat buffet! Just the laws of averages evening out, I guess! Keep the vamp, and keep the rerolls - go for pro! You'll be thankful you did!

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2005 - 09:05 AM
Da Warboss

England
Well do you think it's worth taking pro as my first 3 tourney skills then?

I think DP will be far too useful to not take early on but if you think the vamps are THAT bad...!

NAF #60

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Canada
No, I don't think that the vamps are that bad. But as the first skill it would be advisable. You then use that vamp more often and for the more important plays (like blitzes and picking up and passing the ball). You should then go for DP on a thrall and then Pro for the other vamps.

Beyond that, I would maybe get a sense of what the other teams in the tourney are. But definitely it would be wise to have some hitters with block - anything to keep your boys from going down!

Just as a side note always be sure to note have the vamps trying to run in touchdowns when there are no thralls ahead of them! Not unless you have a reroll, as this could really screw you up! Happened to me once!

Keep us posted on how this works out!

Spazz

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 17, 2005 - 03:05 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'd give the 3rd vamp a skill, instead of skilling up a thrall. Block, Tackle or Strip Ball are all tempting (as otherwise you are pretty useless against Blodgers). I'd be tempted by Kick or another dirty player on the 2nd thrall too.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 03:19 AM
Da Warboss

England
Strip Ball on a vamp sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought kick would be much use for a non-speedy team though.

And the thought of two DPs had entered my head but I figured that would just be cruel Vampire

NAF #60

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 03:29 AM

I think I would give a thrall sure hands early on. that way it frees up a vamp to move forward when reciving. then he can hand off to the vamp in turn 2 of the drive and the vamp can do his thing, by blitzing/passing etc to get the score.

the only way to win with vamps is to push your luck. play cautiously and get creamed. push your luck and fail some of the time, but succeed spectacularly the rest of the time

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 05:53 AM

Canada
      Emberbreeze wrote:
I think I would give a thrall sure hands early on. that way it frees up a vamp to move forward when reciving. then he can hand off to the vamp in turn 2 of the drive and the vamp can do his thing, by blitzing/passing etc to get the score.

This might be a good idea. As I said, I have only been playing the vamps in a league, and as such I have onyl achieved three thralls with skills, and they all have block to help keep the LOS intact. But in a tourney it might be good to free up the vamps as Emberbreeze suggests. (Although I must say it is a very comforting feeling to have somebody with AG4 and ST4 being in control of the ball!)

Spazz

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 07:20 AM
Da Warboss

England
I'm still not convinced by the "play fast and loose - it'll work some of the time" idea for Vampires.

Most of the time you will have 3 ST4 AG4 players with the rest of them frankly suck (no pun). Playing a ride-your-luck game with players like that is going to fail a lot more often than it works!

I think there has to be another approach to using them that doesn't rely on not failing BL rolls or trusting to decent blocks!

NAF #60

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 09:25 AM

Canada
I would agree with you that the vampire team can be very deadly, but is more of a fencing foil than a broadsword. Taking wild sweeps and hoping to hit is not the approach I take.

I have found the tactic that has worked the best for me is to use the thralls as the main force of my team - they set up the plays and make most of the hits - sure they are only ST3, but you can count on them to do what you want them to do without going bloodlusty! Use them to form the cage and have the vamps hovering around and making the more surgical strikes - avoiding any protracted combats with the vamps - AV8 doesn't hold out for long!

If you have the vamps run the ball, and you can keep the thralls ahead of them with the cage (kind of like a carrot on a stick for the mule!) then you are in good standing. It also helps to keep the ball with a vamp for as long as possible, as your opponent will tend to devote a lot of players to take him out - this could leave a thrall (or two) to get in an open, unguarded position to receive the pass thrown by the AG4 vampire.

I found my biggest obstacle was getting my mind around the fact the thralls don't really suck (no pun intended). They have the low armour, but otherwise are regular human linemen. I was initally tempted to mollycoddle them, and let the vamps do most of the work. But now I know better.

So hit with them with superior numbers, but don't follow up. Form a cage -but be prepared to move the ball quickly. Foul when the opportunity is great - but be careful - you cannot afford to lose more of your players - the opposition and vampires will see to that! Save the vamps for the specialty plays (passing, blitzing, hypnotizing)- they are too valuable to waste on a brawl.

Hope this is useful!

Spazz

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 03:17 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

So who is going to be the first person to play an NAF ranked Vampire game???

It will be interesting to see the first person to play the team for NAF points and their feedback.

Galak

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 - 04:16 PM

I'll be taking them to PKaQ if it happens in April. Don't think I'm going to get to any tournaments before then.

If not it will probably be August before I get the chance to use them Shocked

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 - 12:31 AM

I'll play Vamps at the DungeonBowl in Cologne in early March.
But I don't expect more than 1-2 wins. I think I'll go for the "Most Casualties"-Award.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 - 12:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
lol - play Khemri or Ogres instead and you might have a chance. Or you could follow my path and try it with High Elves Wink

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 - 12:52 AM

What, own Thralls bitten don't count Wink ?

It's my first ever tournament, with less than ten games ever played Embarassed
It's realy hard to find coaches here, and as I'm moving this February, it'll be hard to play at all. But a friend promised he'd try and find some time to train me before then.
It's more about seeing some of you and being in Cologne again, anyway. And expect some treats from Belgium Wink "yum-yum"

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic