NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 09:45 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Minotaur Long Bombs....Touchdown!! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sann0638Offline
Post subject: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2016 - 01:25 PM
President

England
The WC4 announcement has been made on thenaf.net: http://www.thenaf.net/2016/10/world-cup-4-bid-process/

This thread is for questions and answers regarding that process - exciting times!

Last edited by sann0638 on May 01, 2017 - 03:04 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
D_ArquebusOffline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2016 - 03:57 PM

Australia
Presumably the preference is for max 1 submission per country?

Or if two submissions are available from same country then they can both submit (at risk of diluting their votes)?

Cheers Smile

13th to 24 Teams Smile

www.ausbowl.com - Home of Australian Blood Bowl
http://nzbbn.com- Home of New Zealand Blood Bowl

TojurubOffline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 07, 2016 - 01:45 AM

Germany
there is no limit on how many bids can be submitted for each country, but as you said it might be better to concentrate the efforts to one single submission.

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

TaxalOffline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 07, 2016 - 12:40 PM

Canada
Would love to see a couple of bids for North America but I highly doubt they would ever win.

TojurubOffline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 08, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Germany
nobody keeps you from putting in a bid for NA Wink

If it's good it will have a chance

TojurubOffline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2016 - 06:37 AM

Germany
how likely will it be that we will use the new-size (GW) boards at the World Cup in 2019?

Reasoning behind this question:
Most conference tables are 80cm wide and would not fit the new size on the short side of such tables.

sann0638Offline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2016 - 09:21 AM
President

England
Certainly something for them to take into account in the bid document, though I wouldn't have thought it would be a necessity.

longfangOffline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 14, 2016 - 06:43 AM

"World Cup 3 in Lucca was a massive event, with over 900 Blood Bowl coaches attending in a massive convention centre. The bids for World Cup 4 must bear this in mind, that there are likely to be around 1000 (at least) who would like to attend if it is financially viable."

This is likely if the tournament is held in Europe, has any research been done to estimate the number of players who would attend a tournament in America or elsewhere?

sann0638Offline
Post subject: RE: World Cup 4 Bid Process - Q&A  PostPosted: Oct 16, 2016 - 01:35 PM
President

England
No, not really, people would have to look at the likely price and make their own estimate.

Rando
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Canada
I think the only thing we can safely say is that attendance would be lower outside of Europe then inside Europe.

Using the data from the NAF site that Doubleskulls maintains here (http://naf.talkfantasyfootball.org/) I compiled a list of all of the tournaments attended by NAF coaches in Canada and the US and compared them to the three previous host countries (UK, ND, Italy).

The average attendance in NA was 16 whereas it was 30 for the three hosts (not counting the WC). But what does that mean? Wink

Copale was kind enough to run the numbers for us and had this to say about attendance (and about using average):

"Average (or mean) is probably not your best measurement of central tendency here. I would use the median as my 'go to' statistic as its much less prone to skewing by extremely large or small values (of which you have plenty). Your data set is pretty sparse, so we're limited in how much we can do. I computed a few basic descriptive statistics comparing North America with Europe (which are included in attached pdf).

The mean and median tell pretty much the same story: attendance in Europe is much higher than North America (ANOVA confirms this difference is highly significant; p<0.001). Attendance between continents can be visualized in the included box-and-whisker plot. The difference is pretty dramatic: Europe's lower quartile (25th percentile) is above the median (50th percentile) for North America and Europe's median is above North America's upper quartile (75th percentile). Looking at the extremes of the distribution gives us even more evidence that Europe is more active: North America has 30 'tournaments' of five players or less, whereas Europe only has five. Furthermore, the twenty largest tournaments were all held in Europe."

I think it would be difficult to give an exact number of how many people would possibly attend.

See attached image.

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2016 - 12:45 PM

Germany
Minitab?

Rando
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2016 - 09:20 AM

Canada
A program named R

https://www.r-project.org/

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2017 - 06:02 AM

Germany
Due to some rumors which were brought to my attention, I would like to make a statement:

The SBBM group with me in the lead are putting a bid together for the World Cup for the Lake Constance area. Since I'm NAF vice president, I would be entiltled to a spot on the committee for awarding the World Cup. I informed all NAF committee members about my intention to put in a bid and requested to be removed from the World Cup committee, which was accepted unanimously. Naturally, I know who is on this said committee, but I only use this information to NOT approch these people about the World Cup. I DO NOT HAVE ANY SAYING IN WHO WILL BE AWARDED THE NEXT WORLD CUP.

The rumor also mentioned that people whould refrain from putting bids together because I would be on the committee and I'm putting a bid in. I can encourage everybody to put a bid in. As everybody else I want the winning bid to be the best of all of them. If our bid comes in second or third, then there are bids, which were better. And this is in the best interest of everybody. If our bid wins it, then it was because the bid was the best one and NOT because I'm the VP.

Let the best bid win. Smile

OldManDracoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2017 - 05:31 AM

Eurobowl now has a process where organizing countries are announced 2 years in advance. This is mainly to give them time to organize the event. Would it be possible to do the same with the World Cup? Announce the 2019 AND 2023 WC hosts now. As Europe has most population, I would advise to hold it in Europe this time too, but if you would announce a WC in the USA/Canada or Australia in 2023, people could start saving money for that event now and most likely a lot more people would be able to attend. It goes vice versa as well of course. So I don't know if there are any bids in from USA/Canada or Australia, but if so, maybe you could let one of them have it in 2023 and announce that now (if they agree to that). That would make WC 4 & 5 set in stone and WC 6 (2027) to be announced in 2021.
Just some ramblings of an old man.

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2017 - 05:37 AM

Germany
For 2019 we have Isle of White and Lake Constance...both in Europe.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic