NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 01:17 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Triple Skulls. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 03, 2018 - 07:55 AM

Canada
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

We recently reclassified the historical Deathbowl Tournaments to be ranked as "Deathbowl" rather than Blood Bowl.

This has not been fully processed yet, but should happen in the next week or so.

This only applies to the tournaments where all the games were Deathbowl. So this means Deathbowl V and onwards are now "Deathbowl" variant in the rankings. I.e. from the date it moved to Ottawa onwards.

NINJA EDIT August 8th: I have now learned that the powers-that-be can fix individual rounds of events.

Changes so far:
Deathbowl IV (Sevens and Deathbowl rounds)
CCKO 2007 (Sevens round)
2007 Canadian Open (Sevens round)

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU

If you played in recent Deathbowls, they have been inputted as Deathbowl anyway. It is only if you played in historical events that it will impact you.

For instance, I have only played Goblins at Deathbowl, so I am expecting to no longer see Goblins in the list of teams I have played in normal Blood Bowl. I will have to select the Deathbowl variant to view my Goblin records.

This will impact the regular standings when you look at the rankings page on this site. you will get a separate CR for the races you have used at Deathbowl. (e.g. for me, I have played Wood Elves at 3 events, 1 of which was a Deathbowl. This will mean my regular Wood Elf rating will go down for Blood Bowl as I will only have attended 2 NAF Blood Bowl events. But I will gain a Deathbowl Wood Elf ranking).

You can see this ranking by selecting Deathbowl from the variant drop down list just below the nation and race drop downs.

I am looking forward to seeing more chat about who the best Deathbowl players are Smile

Additionally, two recent 1 day events in Calgary were 7s tournaments but entered as Blood Bowl. These events were placed in the correct variant and should be updated at the same time as the Deathbowl rankings.

Please feel free to ask any questions about this here!
Also post in this thread if you are aware of a Canadian tournament or round that should be reclassified as we can ask to get that fixed. It may not be instant as it is a fair amount of work though

Cheers,

JTB

Last edited by Notorious_jtb on Jan 22, 2019 - 06:36 PM; edited 6 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
PurplegooOffline
Post subject: RE: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2018 - 01:51 AM

England
Good job!

Darkson
Post subject: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2018 - 01:57 PM

Undisclosed
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
This only applies to the tournaments where all the games were Deathbowl. We cannot yet rank by round if it was different formats. So this means Deathbowl V and onwards are now "Deathbowl" variant in the rankings. I.e. from the date it moved to Ottawa onwards.

I don't think this is correct - we had a 4-way game for the bottom 4 of the ARBBL events over the last few years, and these have been reclassified as "Deathbowl" - for example, see my Halfling ranking in the 2017 event (https://member.thenaf.net/index.php?module=NAF&type=tournamentinfo&variant=1&uid=102&id=3060) - I only played day 2, so my 4th & 5th game are normal BB but my last game vs Tempest was Deathbowl.

That said, I honestly can't recall how I did it (I think I had to manually add the games after uploading the results via Score, but I might be wrong!)

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2018 - 05:51 AM

Canada
      Darkson wrote:
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
This only applies to the tournaments where all the games were Deathbowl. We cannot yet rank by round if it was different formats. So this means Deathbowl V and onwards are now "Deathbowl" variant in the rankings. I.e. from the date it moved to Ottawa onwards.

I don't think this is correct - we had a 4-way game for the bottom 4 of the ARBBL events over the last few years, and these have been reclassified as "Deathbowl" - for example, see my Halfling ranking in the 2017 event (https://member.thenaf.net/index.php?module=NAF&type=tournamentinfo&variant=1&uid=102&id=3060) - I only played day 2, so my 4th & 5th game are normal BB but my last game vs Tempest was Deathbowl.

That said, I honestly can't recall how I did it (I think I had to manually add the games after uploading the results via Score, but I might be wrong!)

I would be up for doing that if it works. I was reliably informed it might not. But that would be exciting news for sure. Exciting in some crazy I like doing more ranking work idiom at least.

TaxalOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2018 - 06:00 AM

Canada
Hey Joe,

I have 8 games played with Skaven in Deathbowl but have no rankings except in regular BB.

PurplegooOffline
Post subject: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2018 - 07:22 AM

England
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
      Darkson wrote:
      Notorious_jtb wrote:

I would be up for doing that if it works. I was reliably informed it might not. But that would be exciting news for sure. Exciting in some crazy I like doing more ranking work idiom at least.

I think (but don't know) that this likely required a bit of manual handling, as Simon intimates. It's not a standard 'service' we offer at present, but it would appear there are workarounds.

If you're keen on separating the results of old tournaments into the correct overall buckets, I'll follow up on how we dealt with the ARBBL example and contact Joe as to how we managed it and if it's transferable.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2018 - 07:32 AM

Canada
      Taxal wrote:
Hey Joe,

I have 8 games played with Skaven in Deathbowl but have no rankings except in regular BB.

Hey Dan,

it hasn't gone through the processing yet. I keep checking myself. If It doesn't go through this week I will try again.

I will post an update here, sorry for the delay, but the database is only getting bigger Smile

I really did the announcement as a pre-warning so people were not as shocked when their rankings jumped around.

Last edited by Notorious_jtb on Aug 07, 2018 - 07:38 AM; edited 1 time in total

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 07, 2018 - 07:34 AM

Canada
      Purplegoo wrote:
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
      Darkson wrote:
      Notorious_jtb wrote:

I think (but don't know) that this likely required a bit of manual handling, as Simon intimates. It's not a standard 'service' we offer at present, but it would appear there are workarounds.

If you're keen on separating the results of old tournaments into the correct overall buckets, I'll follow up on how we dealt with the ARBBL example and contact Joe as to how we managed it and if it's transferable.

I don't have to create work for everyone but I would be happy to try and fix the early tournament records here. And ask around about other events I didn't visit. Let me know if it seems easy(ish)

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 08, 2018 - 07:25 AM

Canada
We have updated the variants used in these tournaments so far:

Done:

DB IV (7s, Deathbowl)
CCKO 2007 (7s)
2007 Canadian Open (7s)

The rankings should change once everything is recalculated.

EDIT: I believe this may occur at the weekend.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Variant rankings updated The Deathbowl + some 7s  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2018 - 11:34 AM

Canada
OK, there was a complication and the matches had to be changed by hand for each tournament but it seems like the data is switched for:

DB I to DB XII

DB XIII onwards were set to Deathbowl already.

it currently looks like Bellowthunderslam is the number 1 Deathbowl coach but that could change once the rankings settle down.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic