NAF Logo
leftstar May 05, 2024 - 04:30 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fan Factor of 1. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KidRichardOffline
Post subject: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 2019  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2018 - 02:15 PM

Canada
The inaugural Ursa Major is upon us, hosted by the (In)Famous Traitor Joe and his Fireside Friendly Bears. Once a year the Friendly Bears are let out of their cages and given large and questionably friendly tools. Since this is the only time they get the chance to play with their friendly toys, the refs tend to ignore the bears’ antics (except under any seriously egregious actions. The bears are allowed to play with their toys, but there is zero tolerance for the bears deciding to use their tools on floored opponents…)

Any team playing Nuffle’s Game that wishes to take home the Ursine Cup (and is ok risking life and limb while the Friendly Bears roam the pitch) will take one of the Friendly Bears as a ward and play alongside the friendly bear, leading it to either victory, defeat, or mangled mess!

In order to take home the Ursine Cup, Traitor Joe wants proof that you can handle your bear. To do this, you must prove that you can handle coaching unfamiliar teams. As such, the Ursa Major is a turncoat style tournament. Prove yourself to be the best bear handler in all the lands and take home the Ursine Cup!

DATE:
July 20, 2019

SCHEDULE:
09:00 - 09:15 Registration
09:15 - 09:30 Setup, trash talk, and bear adoption
09:30 - 11:30 Game 1
11:45 - 02:00 Game 2
02:00 - 03:00 Lunch break
03:00 - 05:00 Game 3
05:15 - 07:30 Game 4
07:30 - 08:00 Awards and closure

COST:
$20 (NAF Members) for dice, prizes, awards, and more
$25 for non-NAF members

STYLE:
This inaugural year of the Ursa Major will be mirror-style: coaches will swap teams, including rosters, skill choices etc. for games 2 and 4. In these games, you will face the very team you brought! Besides that, the tournament will be resurrection-style, with Swiss match-making and 7/3/1 points for wins, draws and losses. D6s will be provided and MUST be used for the duration of the tournament. GW or NAF block dice will be the only permitted block dice.

All 23+3 NAF Sanctioned teams will be permitted at the Ursa Major.

TEAM BUILD:
Each coach receives 1200K gold crowns, which can be used to hire players, cheerleaders, assistant coaches, star players, a master chef, and purchase fan factors, rerolls, apothecaries, and bribes. No other inducements are available.
According to tier, teams will receive an additional amount of money to purchase skills for their players. No player can receive more than two skills, and no stat upgrades may be purchased. Normal skills cost 20K, double skills 30K.

Tier 1 teams receive 70K: Amazons, Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen, Norse, Orcs, Skaven, Undead, Wood Elves

Tier 2 teams receive 110K: Bretonnians, Chaos, Chaos Pact, High Elves, Humans, Khemri, Necromantic, Nurgle, Pro Elves

Tier 3 teams receive 140K: Khorne, Slann, Underworld, Vampires

Tier 4 teams receive 170K: Goblins, Halflings, Ogres

Goblin teams may purchase 0-3 bribes as permanent roster additions at a cost of 50K each instead of 100k each.
Halfling teams may use the new positionals (Catchers and Hefties) and may purchase a Halfling Master Chef for 100K as permanent roster addition.

BONUS:
Each coach that submits their final roster before July 19th, 2019 AND shows up before 9:15AM on Saturday will receive a free random "Miscellaneous mayhem" card to use once throughout the tournament.

SPECIAL RULES:
We will be using the latest NAF rules. Besides that:
There is no minimum number of players before purchasing star players, but you must field at least 11 players. 1 Star player must be taken during roster creation. 2 Star Player maximum. One Star player must be a Fireside Friendly Bear. (Every team MUST take a friendly chainsaw wielding bear. No exceptions.)

Fireside Friendly Bear
Available to all teams
MA ST AG AV
6 3 3 6

Skills:
Loner, Chainsaw, No Hands, Thick Skull

Fireside Friendly Bears are automatically ejected from the game if they are caught fouling. Coaches may not argue the call or use bribes for this ejection.

Important: all casualties inflicted by blocks, fouls, secret weapons, and crowd-surfs count towards total number of casualties (i.e. not failed dodges etc.).

NOTES:
The 2h and 2h15min time limits will be strictly enforced.
Please let me know in advance if you feel uncomfortable letting your opponent use your miniatures, and I will provide an alternative team for your mirror.

Fireside Friendly Bear models will be made available at the tournament if you do not have an appropriate model.

Last edited by KidRichard on Jun 28, 2019 - 10:14 AM; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
StimmeOffline
Post subject: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 2019  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2018 - 09:04 AM

Germany
Great tournament idea. Slightly bummed it wasn't called the O'Ryan Cup.

KidRichardOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 2019  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2018 - 10:42 AM

Canada
      Stimme wrote:
Great tournament idea. Slightly bummed it wasn't called the O'Ryan Cup.

I thank the wonderful person who came up with this idea and I didn't want it to die here in Canada Smile (Thank you kind sir).

The name is a nod towards yours without taking the name outright.

grant85Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2018 - 12:14 PM

Canada
summer is far away but I will plan to be there as long as I am in town.

excited to see the turn coat style stay alive

NAF NTO, Canada
NAF Membership Coordinator, Canada

StimmeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 2019  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2018 - 02:31 PM

Germany
      KidRichard wrote:
I didn't want it to die here in Canada Smile.

I thought the same about myself!

Great you are picking it up. I had planned to guild Ken into doing it.

KidRichardOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Apr 11, 2019 - 03:27 PM

Canada
Attendance list (Itallics = paid, * = Roster Submitted)

1. Brian Tew*
2. Keller (Keggie)
3. Genghis*
4. Chris H.*
5. Derek H.*
6. Andrew W.*
7. seanh1986*
8. Catleesi
9. Ryan J.*
10. Vanderby*
11. grant85
12. Scott C.*
13. John P.
16. KidRichard (filler)

Pre-Payment and rosters can be sent to thompson [dot] derek [at] outlook [dot] com. Please make sure your NAF name and number is in any email correspondence. Ensure the word "Ursa" is in the subject line of the email.

Payment can be made through e-transfer or paypal. See the tournament description for the email.

Before midnight on July 1: 3 ballots

Before midnight on July 8: 2 ballots

Before midnight on July 15: 1 ballot

IF you pre-pay, you can get 2 extra ballots by providing your roster before midnight on July 15.

Last edited by KidRichard on Jul 18, 2019 - 02:52 PM; edited 15 times in total

grant85Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2019 - 08:00 AM

Canada
Hey all! I've got some very interesting news. TWO (in)famous coaches are planning to attend the inaugural Ursa Major.

Bryan Tew multiple NAF record holder and Chaos Cup AND Spike champion

AND

Keller (Keggie) famed drunken comedian

Have both made plans to attend!!!!

get stoked!

NAF NTO, Canada

natsirtdmOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2019 - 08:07 AM

Canada
Great guys - bummed I've gotta miss this one. Nailed on Grant plays Tew

KidRichardOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2019 - 08:23 AM

Canada
All payments received before specific dates will receive ballots for entry into a prize draw! Multiple draws will be made. Possible prizes include a Blood Bowl team, dice, miniatures, and swag!

Payment can be made through e-transfer or paypal. See above for the email.

Before midnight on July 1: 3 ballots

Before midnight on July 8: 2 ballots

Before midnight on July 15: 1 ballot

If you pre-pay, you can get 2 extra ballots by providing your roster before midnight on July 15.

grant85Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2019 - 04:33 AM

Canada
Welp Vanderby is staying with me too.....so add us both to the list!!!

NAF NTO, Canada

KidRichardOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jul 08, 2019 - 07:06 AM

Canada
Done! Remember everyone, tonight is the next deadline to get extra ballots for the prize draw! Don't forget to send in your lists too!

KidRichardOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2019 - 02:51 PM

Canada
Almost game day! Looking at about 14 people minimum showing up so please, if you are planning on coming please get me your roster asap so I can have as much ready as possible!

grant85Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2019 - 03:54 PM

Canada
roster sent. Americans arriving at my place meow. ready for some blood bowl!

NAF NTO, Canada

grant85Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2019 - 05:58 PM

Canada
Thanks for a great time KidRichard and congrats on your first tourney. Well run, good beers, fun rules, and free chainsaw wielding bears! What more could you ask for? Grats to Ken for his first ever NAF Champion shield!

Thanks to my opponents for "fun" times & for reminding me how truly cruel Nuffle can be.

All the best for a great summer! Cheers

NAF NTO, Canada

KidRichardOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: The Ursa Major - Waterloo, Ontario - July 20, 20  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2019 - 06:29 AM

Canada
Thanks everyone for coming out! I had a wonderful time hosting and I hope everyone else enjoyed the day as well, despite the righteous heat we had to put up with. The second edition if the Ursa Major will have a less hot venue, I promise!

I'm working on getting the results properly tabulated - as everyone played multiple different teams, it will take at least a couple days, but the results will make it in!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic