NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 08:04 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Bloodweiser. The best an Orc can git. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 05:54 PM
Former President

England
Heh. About 3 threads to look over there, this one's quite an old chestnut.
Enjoy! Very Happy

(And no, you're not coming across like a jerk at all. Smile )

Thanks for digging that up skummy, I was getting around to it, saved me the trouble.

Reply with quote Back to top
liviathOffline
Post subject: What I like best about the "modified 1"  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2003 - 03:45 PM

Have any of you ever played Ultimate Frisbee? If you have, you would know it's a game that consists of everyone running down to one end to get the frisbee and then sailing it down to the other end. Then everyone runs down there until a defender gets it to sail it back to the opposite end.
If the "modified 1" rule was gone, this is what BB would deteriate down to. Someone chucking it to the opposite end every turn until the faster players got to the ball first to score. This would not be a fun game.
If you think about it, fumbling does not happen that often for a "thrower" (the one who should be good at passing). If you fumble a long bomb on a 1-3, then a thrower [who starts with the pass skill], would only fumble it 25% of the time. And that is just a rookie! When he finally gets SPPs and gets Strong Arm, he will only fumble it 11% of the time.

destroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:12 AM

I am not sure about you guys but I have never seen anyone in our league willingly give up the ball by throwing to a spot where they "might" be able to get to first. I am not sure how that could be a good tactic. most people I play against believe heavily in ball control and that is the reason I brought up the rules question in the first place. do alot of people try this tactic?

liviathOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 01:55 AM

Imagine both teams milling around the line of scrimmage. We'll say it's dwarves versus skaven. The gutter runners ran deep into your side of the field. You mange to knock the ball loose and get it, but it's your 1 dwarf runner versus 3 gutter runners. If you can easily ditch the ball back into the fray you would. I have seen it. Dwarves are too slow to send back reinforcements. Remember a Long Bomb is only half the field. So now you've sent it back to the LofS. Then let's say the skaven manage to knock it loose and recover the ball. Guess what, another long bomb sailing the ball back towards the endzone and the gutter runners. But this time the GR drops the pass. Well, the dwarf goes over gets the ball and sails it back to the safety of the dwarf mob at midfield. This could go on forever.

How about another example. Wood elves versus chaos. Chaos have been pounding the elves back to there endzone with the ball. But the elves manage to knock it loose and sail it to an empty square with a long bomb. And, uh oh, the chaos have all their players bunched up trying to kill the elves. So tell me, who's going to get the ball first; the MV 5 warrior or the MV 8 catcher?

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 06:22 AM

I often throw the ball away into space with my skaven if they havn't left someone far enough back to cover it. Though with out the fumbling range rules, it would be a lot easier to do this. It discourages throwing the long bomb which will get it further away but a greater chance of the fumble because of it.

Though if my gutter runner breaks through with the ball and the closest opponent can blitz him and then someone else can come pick the ball up, i will throw a quick or short pass in front of me. Cause then he can't get the ball the next turn and unless he gets my gutter runner down and stuneed, I should be able to pick it up and run it in.

Jon

destroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 09:27 AM

I see how that could work, except most people in my area always leave a guy or two back to play safety, more if its against a really fast team like elves and skaven so that situation doesn't really come up to often. the more tackle zones you put a GR through the more likely he will fail.

a couple of the skaven players put there rat ogre back in the safety position to give opponents something to think about before passing to their lone receiver. I see the bull centaur being very effective back there as well.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 09:38 AM
Former President

England
There's been a few situations in games where I've been under pressure at the end of a half and simply throwing the ball away out of range is an option. Without the range modifiers it becomes a much safer option.
You're in effect giving any lineman the ability to 'punt' the ball away with relative ease.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic