NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 01:39 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Goblin team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
With piling on, do you declare the pile on BEFORE or AFTER rolling for armour?
Before
55%
 55%  [ 40 ]
After
44%
 44%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 72

frecklesOffline
Post subject: Piling on  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 02:16 AM

Australia

I have a question about piling on. When you pile on with a player, do you say that you are going to pile on BEFORE or AFTER the armour roll? The rules book is not too clear on this. I always believed that you had to declare BEFORE you piled on, the risk being that even with the pile on you may not break the armour. However, the rule book doesn't state that specifically.

The reason that I ask is that I recently played at a con where a few players played that you could declare after you made the armour roll. This of course means that you know whether or not piling on will make the difference necessary to break the armour. This strikes me as a particularly cheesy interpretation of the rules. All of the skills have some risk of failure involved in them, and if you don't have to declare until after you roll the dice the risk for that skill is negated.

So, I am keen to hear what others think about this. Let me know!

Cheers!

Reply with quote Back to top
DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 05:11 AM
Former President

England
After the dice roll is the official answer.
LRB p.15 "...you can choose to you a skill that affects a dice roll after rolling the dice."

I haven't got a problem with it, but it's controversal, and I know of leagues that have house ruled PO so that it needs to be declared before the dice roll.

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 05:13 AM

I'd say "before" as it makes more sense, but "after" cause skills like Mighty Blow may also be used after you rolled the dice... Cheesy but that's life!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
spreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 05:33 AM

Played an Undead team with two Piling On Mummies at Cancon this year. It was agreed the skill could be used after rolling the dice, but the Commish over-ruled and went with declaring before rolling armour. I was still absolutely smashed by these Mummies so declaring before-hand doesn't diminish the usefullness of the skill!

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 06:30 AM
Former President

England
      spree wrote:
Played an Undead team with two Piling On Mummies at Cancon this year. It was agreed the skill could be used after rolling the dice, but the Commish over-ruled and went with declaring before rolling armour. I was still absolutely smashed by these Mummies so declaring before-hand doesn't diminish the usefullness of the skill!

Babs ruled before? I'm a little surprised.

spindexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 10:35 AM

At first I thought this skill was too much if used after the roll but after playing with it a few times I see that there is a trade off. You pile on me gives up a nice hit. My orce foul your piler!! hehe makes really thinking about using the skill.
Norse blitzers are prolly the best choice for this skill I have seen!

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 03:58 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
Yep, perfect choice for Norse Blitzers.

We use 'choose after' but 'Choose before' seems more natural. The blighter just drops onto your player

biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 04:01 PM

Undisclosed
The problem is not resolved by merely saying, "oh well I can foul the guy afterwards". Although the rules state that any skill can be used after the die roll it is clear that this was an oversight in regards to Piling on. The 'players' that are exploiting this situation are doing it with mummies, ogres, black orcs and the like. All of which are unlikely to be removed from the pitch with a foul due to high armour and the fouling rule that says you can't assst a foul in a tackle zone. Personally I think the easiest way to fix it is to make piling on count as a foul action. It limits the use to once a turn and the risk to the piling on player is considerably higher. As it stands there is virtually no risk to an undead or 'god forbid' a Khemri team giving piling on as a first skill to all mummies. Most people play bloodbowl to have a good time, its a fun game, but when opponents start using tactics such as these you don't have a good time and if your opponent is a decent person (if) they won't have a good time if they realise that you're miserable.

spreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 12:00 AM

Deathwing wrote:
      Quote:

Babs ruled before? I'm a little surprised.

I don't know the exact reasoning but I'd say it was most likely a diplomatic stance to resolve a heated discussion/heated opposition to the rule or a personality clash. None of which are needed in a fun friendly comp! Smile

ZanzerTemOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 01:29 AM

United States of America

2 different answers for this:

1) We house rule BEFORE. It is just to cheesy not to.

2) LRB says AFTER.

It depends on what your asking. Do you want the "official" ruling, or just a general league consensus?

Check out my teams here, courtesy of: FUMBBL.com

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 03:38 AM

United States of America
      BloodbasherMasher wrote:
2 different answers for this:

1) We house rule BEFORE. It is just to cheesy not to.

2) LRB says AFTER.

It depends on what your asking. Do you want the "official" ruling, or just a general league consensus?
Ditto.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

frecklesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 04:03 AM

Australia

I think Babs was forced to rule because there was so much opposition to the 'after' ruling that some people were playing. What it all comes down to (I think) is having a good time. Declaring piling on after the dice roll is just cheesy, and I find that the players that tend to take it are the people I don't enjoy playing against. Maybe I'm a BB 'purist'. Play in the spirit of the game. I don't care if I win or lose (as evidenced by my coach ranking) as long as I have a good time! I enjoyed most of my games at Cancon, with one notable exception. My win/loss record was woeful, but I wasn't at all upset as I played some really good opponents and had a good time.

Anyway, it's good to hear other people's opinions. Don't crucify me for mine though!

Cheers!

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 08:28 AM

Canada
It sounds more fun after though : the guy just pummeled the other guy with a fair block, but he sees him getting his ideas back into place, so he decides that a good elbow drop would do justice to his last block ! That<s the spirit !

Fred

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 11:44 AM

Fun? I don't know about that. I recently had an Orc team torn up by 2 PO Mummies. It's quickly becoming the LRB's version of Dirty Player in our league, and I'm thinking about getting Piling On/Mighty Blow on as many of my Orcs as possible to prove a point.

Personally, I think it needs to be toned down. Make the armor bonus 1/2 the strength of the player, rounded up.

-Oscar Wilde

ZanzerTemOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 11:02 PM

United States of America

There is a Khemri team in our tabletop league that has 4 mummies with Pile On. Even with the "declare before" rule we use, they still have on average 2-3 casualties APIECE. Yes, apiece. A team (high elves) was forced to play a recovery game with 4 players on the field.

I've always felt that Pile on should have a bonus of 1/2 STR, round down. But, thats a different topic altogether Rolling Eyes

[edit] Thats 2-3 casualties per game, BTW]

Last edited by ZanzerTem on Feb 20, 2003 - 09:50 AM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic