NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 09:18 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Hand! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MorlakarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 05:08 PM

I'm currently ending my first season with an Amazon team and ran to many of the same problems being voiced here. I found it very difficult to keep up with the high agility teams and very difficult to stop the cage on high strength teams.

The 3 agility and 6 movement make it very difficult to be an effective passing team and 7 armor can make running the ball a very painful option.
Averaging 2 touchdowns a game with little to no inflicted casualties because you're always dodging away equals little in the way of SPP to improve the team. After 8 games, my skills advantage in the beginning is practically negated by the other teams surpassing me in SPP.

Not to mention the fact that like all 7 armor teams, the possibility for a "one game demolition" is always present. I played one game against a Lizardman team of equal team rating that left me with 3 dead, 4 serious injuries and 2 badly hurt...

I've also read about the Amazon teams that have done fairly well in leagues and tournaments all over, frankly I just don't see how its done, guess it just takes a certain kind of coach to be able to play them well.

Reply with quote Back to top
ZanzerTemOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 02:01 PM

United States of America

Well, nine casualties certainly does put a damper on things =/

The deaths/niggles/stat decreases are the big hits. MNG SI's and BH's i can deal with. Why? Because these players will be back on the field sometime down the road.

'Zons are an aquired taste. You either love them or you hate them.

Check out my teams here, courtesy of: FUMBBL.com

ShortarseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 01:33 PM

Quote:

Here is what I do with my 'Zons:

__Skills__

Passers - SURE HANDS 1st, Accurate & Strong Arm next 2 skills, then Block
Catchers - Block 1st (always), then sure feet, sprint
Linewomen - Block, tackle, guard
Blizters - Either Tackle/guard/Mighty Blow/Pro Choose your flavor, you already have block/dodge!

I agree with the above quote though I usually go for block after sure hands for throwers as I usually keep them back and it comes in handy to stop both you from getting squitted and any pesky opponents that are looking to score. as to the scoring I usually go for moving 2 catchers forwards on either side (with Block ASAP) and a blitzer each in support (if they have guard all the better) DODGE!!!!! out of any TZ'd that you get put in that way your opponent can only hit one of them a turn! then it comes down to the dice and protecting your thrower. Also be prepared to just run with the thrower if he goes for your catchers. The beauty of them is you can easily get this three pronged attack going and all your opponent can do is hit one per turn. Another good tactic can be the whole HMPass and diving catch if you can get it.

ShortarseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 01:38 PM

Love Em

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 07:38 PM

Hi, DDouglas -

If you are good at defence, that means you are already an excellent coach. The 'Zons seem to be a high performing team, but trickier to learn to coach than most sides.

The 'Zons don't need to fear Dwarfs or Chaos Dwarfs (except that the 'Zons have to play more precisely, perhaps, against them). The fastest players in these teams (Bull Centaurs, Hobgoblins, Runners, Blitzers, Trollslayers) all come without Tackle. Your players, especially the Blitzers, can run rings around these guys. At CanCon (Australian national tournament in January) a 'Zon coach came 3rd, beating Dwarf teams 3 times in the process. So, in the hands of a decent coach, at least, it can be done!

The main weakness of the 'Zons is their MA6. Blodging players (Blitzers in the starting side) make the best ball carriers (the Throwers really need Sure Hands AND Block before they become decent at it). I think you have to play a running game, in a style that keeps your opponent guessing what you are going to do next (run, hand-off, pass, nothing...).

One of the great advantages of the 'Zons is that they hit hard when they need to (4 Blitzers, dodges to give the critical assists for 2 dice blocks). Opponents tend to underestimate this hitting power.

Don't be afraid to use one-die blocks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

TysoniumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 09:10 PM

Quote:
Don't be afraid to use one-die blocks.

I'd even go as far as to say don't be afraid of two die blocks. My main goal as Amazons is to push my opponents away from me so I have some space to maneuver... a push result is as good as a pow for me. An actual pow result is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.
In my opinion, it's important to play aggressively with the Amazons and keep your opponent guessing as to what you are going to do next. If you don't have to pass immediately, hang onto the ball with your thrower a bit when you're heading down pitch... don't advertise who you are going to throw the ball to. If you can get your catchers block, you've got catching blitzers who don't need to be afraid of trying to shove someone out of the way to blitz in for a touchdown.
Against tackle teams, keep them back. If you can push them all back away from you, it's the same result as if you dodged out. Throw those two-die blocks against you... the odds are well in your favor for getting them away from you. And if you get double skulls... well, that's why your rerolls are so cheap...

Tyson

BUDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2003 - 12:16 AM

I am a successful Dwarf Coach and I'll let you know how to beat Dwarves. Ok, so the Dwarves are gonna beat you up anyways because you're armor 7 and they're 9... but, invest in a few (2 to 4) dirty playering chickies and you got yourself a game. Pick on one of those slayers that just piled on your players or blitzed a gal. Then go over and blitz his butt on the ground and surround and stomp him, there's one of the deadliest dwarf threats off the pitch, one down, one to go. If you can get to the runners then you're set! Runners are the hope for Dwarves to get TD's... knock them out and you have almost assured yourself a victory.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ShortarseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2003 - 09:45 AM

Dont forget to stomp on the blitzers while you're at it! Laughing

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic