NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 06:50 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Hang the monkey! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VeectorOffline
Post subject: Soliciting suggestions to resolve a league problem  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 02:17 PM

Sorry if I forget to mention anything, this is my first post to this board.

Currently, we have a league of 4 coaches going. We play a round-robin style of league where every team plays every other team twice (one at home and one away). Because we were new to the Blood Bowl rules, we didn't implement all of the "optional" rules when we first started the league. As such, Apothecaries, Wizards, and Big Guys are out.

To add more complexity to this problem, the league also currently uses all of the commissioner's playing material (boards, dice, miniatures, etc). That would be me.

We're coming down to the final match in regular season play and we're starting to talk about carrying over teams to the next season. There is an Undead team, a Wood Elf team, an Orc Team, and a Skaven Team.

One suggestion is that we allow anyone to carry over their team as is. The Orc and Undead teams would like this very much since they have pretty good rosters with guys who have not taken too much of a beating.

Another suggestion is to allow anyone making a new team to take some extra cash to even up the playing field a little.

Another suggestion is for everyone to start over with new teams entirely. I am in favor of this plan because I feel that the first season was dominated by strength teams who have not had to replace as many players as the agility teams, who have not had the benefit of apothecaries or wizards. I feel that if this is not done, the strength teams (Undead/Orc) will continue to dominate due to more experienced players.

I have offered the suggestion of starting over with new teams with some free MVP points, but this hasn't appealed to the Undead and Orc teams.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be much appreciated. I'm looking for a solution that is fair, allows teams to keep players, doesn't make it too difficult for new teams to win, and doesn't handicap the more experienced teams too much.

That's probably asking for a lot, but what the hey!

Thanks in advance.

Reply with quote Back to top
VeectorOffline
Post subject: Forgot to mention:  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 02:19 PM

As for the next season of the leage, we are absolutely implementing all of the rules available in the Living Rulebook.

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 02:33 PM

In our league (which has had around 8-12 coaches in it over the past few years), we have a 4 game "preseason" before actual league play, in which only the new teams can play. This gives the new coaches a chance to work out the kinks in their game, and also to beef up the teams a bit. I like that system. I've also played in leagues where N randomly chosen players (around 3 or 4) start with 6 SPP. Or you could just let the handicap table handle things.

Personally, I like having a preseason, but don't think that TR100 teams are all that worse off against TR200+ teams that you need to make rolling-over disallowed.

Playing a team for multiple seasons is a great thrill, as your team gets totally skilled-up. You can still lose (although you do have an advantage against TR100 teams), but there are teams in the NFL that have better players than others, too. Between aging and the new income tables, I feel that teams can't get too out of control, and having veteran teams is good for the league.

Another thing you could do would be to skew the schedule so the first few weeks worth of games are new vs new and vet vs vet.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 03:53 PM

United States of America
A preseason option is a good one, but we elected to restart after the first season and then have the season one champions defend the league trophy against the season two champions. We will probably repeat this as many of us wanted to try out different teams.

It meant I lost my 9-1-0 CD's, but hey they get to defend the Hellfire Horn when we're done with season two against some upstart squad...hopefully my Skaven, but I doubt it.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 04:53 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Its a common problem. How do you migrate teams from one season to another when the rules change?

I like Melifaxis's suggestion of having a season with new teams, and then a play off between the old & new.

We've generally been quite harsh - and forced people to drop teams. But as we allowed many of the experimental teams a few coaches weren't as unhappy as they may have been otherwise.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 06:16 AM

Undisclosed
Personally, I'd just start over. If the 2 bashy players are friends/fair people, they'll understand the reason behind it.

If they're just gits, then is it worth it?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 02:32 PM

As the commish sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say "This is how it it". If you feel that the bashy teams are dominating your league, and with 4 teams this is going to be the case, then starting the league over with new teams is a viable option. What *I* would do in your situation is run two divisions. Have a "Minor" league and a "Major" league. The minor league would be startup teams. You always use starter teams in this league and as such whoever feels that they want as new team can play in this league. The Majors can be used for people who would like to carry their teams over into the new season as is. Let the bashy teams beat on eachother a bit and they'll soon see how boring it can be to be bashy all the time and more then likely will start a team in the minors for a break from it. This also add to the played times as you ave the possibillity to double your games and it will be a draw for newcomers to join your league as it is VERY annoying trying to start a team in an established league of good teams with alot of skills. It works out to be good either way you slice it. I would suggest getting some kind of league tracking software that does divisions and scheules games for you you input the teams coaches etc. and it spits you out a nice sheet of times and dates that will be available to your players and that they can schedule around if need be. This keeps both sides happy as you have a brand new set of people to dance around and try t0 avoid, and they still have their bashy teams with the prospect of more teams eventually advancing to the Majors to be bashed about. I have a league software around here someplace and I believe it is similar to the software <if not the same software> that Fumbbl runs. If you have toruble finindg it pm me and I'll send you a copy or a link to download it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic