NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 12:14 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
In Roze-El we trust. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JmacOffline
Post subject: forget green stuff.. try this!  PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 10:08 PM

For basing my models, instead of using green stuff to build up a higher ground on the bases, I use left over sprue peices to raise the floor a little... then mix up my own special "modeling clay"... here is what I use for that.

3/4 cup of powdered starch
1 cup of white glue (elmers glue is the cheapest)

mix by hand.. don't worry about getting messy, hot water rinses it right off as long as it's not dry yet.

Let the mix sit for about 15 minutes so it hardens a bit... Use anything lying around to apply it to the base.. (though the end of an old paint brush works really well. It's very very cheap to make compared to buying the modeling clay from the GW shop or green stuff..

Cut down the ratio of the ingrediants if you need to make less.. Becuase it doesn't keep very well.

cheers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2003 - 02:42 AM

Thanks for the tip, but can any dutch guy translate "starch" please??? (is it behangplaksel??) Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
NorborOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2003 - 07:05 AM

For building up bases, I find a single jar of Elmers Wood Putty goes a long way.

Norbor

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2003 - 07:21 AM

Wood putty is that brown kneadable stuff that turns hard after a while, right?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2003 - 07:45 AM

I think "Starch" should be translated with "Stijfsel"

As is/was used in shirts etc to keep the collar up...

May be "behangplaksel" would work as well?

R

JmacOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2003 - 08:05 AM

yes, but you have to use the power starch, not the spray can starch..

corn starch also works.. you can find that in a food market near the baking supplies

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
NorborOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 11:15 AM

Wood putty is indeed that same stuff Squigqoth. The best brand I have found is Elmers (same as the white glue.) My friend introduced me to it a while ago and no I don't base anyone without it.

I also use it to hold down rocks and boulders and such that I add onto the bases and as a glue to add a small piece of sheet magnet into the bottoms of my fantasy regiments. Add a piece of metal into your move tray and you can turn your regiment upside down (carefully Wink)

Norbor

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2003 - 03:31 AM

Mmmm.... Have to check the DiY stores overhere, but I believe Bison sells wood putty. And that starch-stuff shouldn't be too hard to find... Mom? Wink

PaintbeastOffline
Post subject: Sand Filler  PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 - 09:50 AM

You can mix a thousand things with Elmer's Glue (White glue) to duplicate the desired effect. Your best bet is sand...simple playground sand. it mixes with the glue for a good filler and adds weight and texture to the base. If you prefer less texture (and weight) sawdust is the key.

Take care!
Eric
Paintbeast@yahoo.com

madhobbitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2003 - 02:51 AM

Squiggoth, it sounds to me like Elmer's has a product range comparable to Albastine over here (Netherlands). They have wood putty in several variations.
I use their standard wall filler. I don't know the cost as it's a leftover from moving 1.5 years ago, but it should cost to much.

June 24 & 25: m@hobbit massacre
http://www.madhobbit.net/massacre

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic