NAF Logo
leftstar May 22, 2024 - 11:30 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Wez got ur coach. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hanging back for a couple of turns so the opposing coach will not be able to score....
Fair
62%
 62%  [ 108 ]
Foul
15%
 15%  [ 26 ]
Depends...
22%
 22%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 172

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 09, 2003 - 04:36 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
he managed the draw Evil or Very Mad but I think I'll get him next Twisted Evil

Reply with quote Back to top
AucielloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 09, 2003 - 11:31 PM

Canada

I can't believe there's even a debate about this.

If a game is tied, there are four turns left, and you are receiving, why in the world would you score in two turns and give your opponent a chance to come back?

That's just stupid.

If you hang on to the ball and drain the clock, it's a legitimate tactic.

I do it when I must, and I expect other coaches to do it, too. If anyone ever complained to me about it, I'd probably laugh and tell the guy to stop whining and come up with a strategy to get the ball.

He who controls the ball controls the game.

ValenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2003 - 01:07 AM

England
I agree, with my elves I score in two turns about 95% of the team, so if a dwarf coach left me 4 turns too score an equaliser I would laugh very hard!

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2003 - 05:05 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Ok then, I will have to confirm to my moaning opponant that the general consensus is:

" Tough, you need to make sure you do not let yourself get into that situation in the first place!"

Cool, thanks guys....

224th at The World Cup II

BenArdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2003 - 08:23 AM

I had this done to me. I don't generally mind but i was a bit p!ssed off because my opponent was using an established Norse team and i was playing my second game with a lizardman team. He got the ball and stopped 1 sqaure away frmo the endzone and proceeded to spend 4 turns kicking the sh!te out of my team.

This was added to the fact that in turn 2 of the game he had managed to kill 3 of my players and SI 1 (including the skink who i had only just got sure hands for, and which the apothecary failed to save Evil or Very Mad )

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 16, 2003 - 03:00 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Ok, now that kind of behaviour is well off! I think there is no need for that kind of activity, just if it is a really close game and it makes the difference between a drawer or a win....

224th at The World Cup II

ZevarinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2003 - 01:08 PM

My tactic against this is to try and turn the tables.
I had a Norse coach try that on me (While I was playing my Norse team), I couldn't get to the ball carrier. So I tried the second best thing, pick the most valuable player he has (his thrower in this case... I couldn't get to the blitzers) and focus on killing him. Light him up and foul, foul, foul. You start hurting even a few of his players and he'll score. It doesn't take much to make it not worth while. Razz . He scored in only one extra turn.

DidacsoyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 - 02:30 PM

Spain

My brother will never forget the lesson he learned with that tactic! He was playing orcs vs skaven in a semi. It was a 1-1 tie and he had the ball on one of his blitzers a square away from skaven's end zone for the last four turns!. There were two of us watching the game as the rats got blocked, blitzed, fouled, stripped, squeezed and the like just for fun and for the sake of it. We all knew that the skaven's coach was holding a random event card and we all also knew (apart from my brother, of course) what card it was (what I still don't know is how all three of us could keep our poker-face perfectly sculpted that the case required). Poor skavens didn't have a chance of getting to the orc blitzer (only four of them in the field, all linerats!), and it was a desperate situation for their coach. Then it all happened like flowing:
In turn eight, my brother went on blocking and blitzing anything with a furry skin and finally said: "I'm not fouling you because I could be sent off and my MASTER PLAN could get frustrated!". then he slowly took his blitzer and went to move the last sqare saying: "that's where the Rats end!!!" and then, very nicely, my friend (skaven's coach) went: "Pop!" and showed the card he was holding: yes, you guessed, Burst Ball!!!
You should have seen my brother's face (I'm still laughing as I write this down). The game was a tie and, of course the saven scored in the extra-time thus giving them access to the finals and a valuable lesson to my little brother.

Wow! It was a long one! But we still laugh at it (a year and a half ago) and the skaven coach got the trophy at last.

I don't mind it if that tactic is used on me, because I think it is a coach's duty to prevent his opponent from doing so. But certainly it is not a nice thing when you get caught with it.

Cheers.
DIEGUITO

before the WAR!"

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 - 02:41 PM

So in a match where sportsmanship counts, would t6his be frowned on. While I agree it's a tactic I don't think poiunding a team into the dirt for extra turns is exactly sportmanlike in a traditional sense.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2003 - 03:32 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Khaine wrote:
So in a match where sportsmanship counts, would t6his be frowned on. While I agree it's a tactic I don't think poiunding a team into the dirt for extra turns is exactly sportmanlike in a traditional sense.

I'd say delaying to win (i.e. to go 2-1 up) is fine. Delaying to go 2 more in front isn't.

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2003 - 03:38 AM

Sweden
Its cheesy as hell. Its boring, no fun and - unfortunately - sometimes a very sensible tactic. I try to keep my use of it to a minimum, as it can hurt you...I once lost a game when I tried to stall one turn against Woodies with Orcs. I was SURE my ball carrier was secure. Jammy Wardancer tho...and I ended up 2-0 down instead of on equal footing.

As has been said...if you're delaying to keep a win intact for a couple of turns then its OK.

SuMOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2003 - 04:06 AM

WORMLEYSBURG, PA
There is Playing Dirty, and there is Cheating...

This tactic is Playing Dirty. If a player ain't playing Dirty, then maybe he/ she should be playing Chess or Checkers...

- Ever see a Death Roller mash a team, turning it into "Road Kill"??? Not a pretty sight...
- Ever see a Wizard turn a player into a Frog or see Lightning hit???
Dirty, but extremely FUNNY, if you are not on the receiving end of it...

Letzzz say-
In League play, one of the other teams has a Kick-Ass player that is high in SPP, we will call him or her "Mr./ Mz. TouchDown". If you have the chance to Gank Mr. TouchDown, and you don't, you must want him to run circles around you and you must like losing games...

I'm not a player that is into a lot of Fouling, but I do my share, but mainly near the end of my Matches... "PayBacks are a Be-otch!!!"

MagierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2003 - 03:25 AM

*hehe* funny. Some people claim they "play dirty" if they stall but in the same sentence they whine and bitch if you surround their top player with your own and let a Dirty Player beat him to a bloody pulp in a foul. Razz

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2003 - 03:37 AM

In my opinion anyone who thinks running down the clock is "cheesey" or "dirty" just hasn't got the idea that Blood Bowl is - after all, a strategy game...

Why isn't fouling "cheesey" - "No fair - he caused casualties so I couldn't score!"

Why not pushing off the pitch with frenzy instead of - well not? "No fair - he pushed my players off so I couldn't score!"

Playing down the clock when you need to (or even when you don't for vindictive people Wink) is a FAIR, GOOD and honourable tactic.

If someone plays the clock against me - they are showing me the greatest respect - they KNOW I might be able to score...

If someone scores early and could have held on - stalling - and then I score back - I consider that player tactically not as good and I would also feel like I "got away with it"

Blood Bowl is not about mercy! Do what you can to win! Why do people insist that doing everything you can to win within the rules is somehow cheesey? Why should I give my opponent an opportunity I don't need to? Thats just dumb!!!

I'd better shut up now or I'll get into a frenzy of ranting Wink But this issue REALLY annoys me. If "you have to score if you can" ever became an official rule I would never play in a tournament again - not least because you can still "abuse" that.

Grr!

Very Happy

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2003 - 03:41 AM

Mordredd wrote:
Happened to my opponent in the league semi once. Very Happy
Wanted to win AND kill me. Sad
Would have done it too if he'd resisted that turn 8 foul. Very Happy
Instead he lost 1-0 in extra time. We laughed for a week. Twisted Evil

ROFL!! That would be Joe Byers wouldn't it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic